XP (Home) blue screens after LG GSA 4040 install

the don 15:05 06 Oct 2003

Since installing my shiny new (highly rated in all the reviews) LG multi format DVD writer, I've suffered 4 Blue Screens - XP Crash analysis suggests a faulty device driver is to blame.

The DVD uses WinXP native drivers (or at least so the manual says) - so I'm not sure how to replace / repare / reinstall these, without the pain of reloading Windows.

Will a "Repair" installation work, or am I stuck with backing up all my data, downloaded apps (and reg keys) etc etc, and reinstalling Windows?.

Hope someone out there can help...

spikeychris 16:45 06 Oct 2003

Well you certainly shouldn't have to re-install Windows. Have you un-installed the device from device manager in control panel?

If not do so, Windows will assign a generic driver at your next bootup.

JIM 17:33 06 Oct 2003

besides the point that spikeychris has made,have you set the jumper settings for the use of master or slave correctly?

the don 18:19 06 Oct 2003

Sadly, yes - already tried uninstalling several times, and allowing Windows to redetect.

The drive is a slave on my secondary IDE channel, according to the manual, it can be either master or slave. I'l reverse it (so DVD becomes master) and repost with the results - probably tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. fingers crossed!.

the don 10:16 08 Oct 2003

Hmmm - things not much better.

Took CDRW out, made DVD Master (using known good IDE connector previously used by CDRW) - Windows crashed a few hours later - same analysis - Faulty Driver.

Ran LG Firmware update (defined as speed improvement, no mention of compatibilty / stability - but I'm getting desperate!) from LG's site - worked fine.

Burnt a CDR succesfully in the LG DVD drive.

Then tried to burn 2.5Gb data to a (Verbatim) DVD+RW, windows restarted half way through, and Crash detection / analysis again blamed a Driver.

In despair I ran the Windows XP Repair installation overnight from my XP CD, but haven't yet had a chance to re-test the drive.

If this hasn't fixed it, I'm thinking of installing another copy of WinXP, and creating a dual boot, to see if the drive works OK under a clean build.

Anybody got any better (and ideally less drastic) idea's?.

Hope you can help.

the don 10:55 14 Oct 2003

None of the above worked, so I installed a clean build of XP, and this solved it.

I've just got to spend the next fortnight finding old printouts of licence keys for downloaded apps, picking up Windows & Virus updates, and worst of all, apologising to er'indoors for not backing up her email properly.

Ho hum - who ever said repalcing disk drives was easy!!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?