XP Formatting ???

elvish_turd 16:16 08 Jun 2003

Hi people,

I am fed up with my pc having loads of junk on it, is there an easy way of clearing it all n getting back to an out of the box state, i have tried to formatt(don't know if that was the right thing to do) but it keeps telling me to make sure there are no utilities runnnig which i don't think there are, i try again n i get the same message.

Any body got any good ideas

Ps i'm runnig XP pro.

Thanks

Justin.

elvish_turd 16:18 08 Jun 2003

Ps I have also tried to run system restore but this doesn't seem to work either.

Justin

spikeychris 16:19 08 Jun 2003

Justin you can't format Windows whilst still using it. Do you have an XP disk or a recovery/reload disk?

Chris

elvish_turd 16:28 08 Jun 2003

I have only got the upgrade disk as the the original installation got damaged.

spikeychris 16:31 08 Jun 2003

Fraid I've lost you there. What disk do you have? did Windows come pre-loaded? did you get a recovery disk that you would use to go back to factory settings?

elvish_turd 16:40 08 Jun 2003

I was originally running Me which was pre loaded when i got the pc and upgraded to Xp pro, Igot no copy of the riginal installation disc nor did I get a recovery disc unfortunately when I realised that i needed these the chap whom i bought the machine from had gone out of business.

Just my luck

spikeychris 16:56 08 Jun 2003

OK

An idea would be to uninstall the upgrade, go back to ME then reinstall it.

Start in Safe mode. To do so, press the F8 key while Windows is starting.

Log on using the Administrator account.

Then go to Control Panel, and then Add or Remove Programs.

In the list of installed programs, double-click Uninstall Windows XP.

When you receive the "Are you sure you want to uninstall Windows XP and restore your previous operating system?" message, click Yes to start the Windows XP uninstallation process.

Once you have removed XP you can then reapply the upgrade.

If you want to post whatever problems you are having then I'm sure they will be answered.

Chris

elvish_turd 17:05 08 Jun 2003

What difference would it make to uninstall then reinstall ?

spikeychris 17:17 08 Jun 2003

You say that ME came pre-installed, so you could uninstall XP, go back to ME, use the recovery disk to go back to the factory settings of ME then reapply the XP upgrade.

This would be a long laborious job but if you want to format XP then its your only option.

As I said earlier you could just post the problems. Out of interest how did you intend on formatting the machine, you said " i have tried to formatt(don't know if that was the right thing to do) but it keeps telling me to make sure there are no utilities runnnig which i don't think there are, i try again n i get the same message."

keith-236785 21:38 08 Jun 2003

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT ADVOCATING PIRACY HERE

Format your computer, "BORROW" a friends copy of windows 98 or ME, install that first, then upgrade to xp with the upgrade cd, (as you have the license for XP, i dont think this would be Piracy).(i'm open to being proved wrong though)

If the supplier has gone out of business i can see no other way to get your system sorted, (once again i'm open to being proved wrong)

Bluescreen 00:41 09 Jun 2003

When I reformatted my H/d, I did not need to load Me on first. When I loaded my upgrade disk, it loaded it all from there!! There was no need to Me first. Has anyone else tried this, as I was always told that I needed to load Me/98 first and then upgrade to Xp,but I didn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)