XP Crash/Reboot when connected to Internet

CDL 11:59 27 Oct 2005

I am running XP Pro SR2 fully updated. I have Norton 2003 AV fully updated and run regular anti

spyware and Trojan checks.

When connected to the internet my system can crash at random times - sometimes after 2 mins,

sometimes after 30 mins, sometimes never, in a session.

I get the classic blue screen which is impossible to read,then a restart. Following up the problem

via Event Viewer and MS knowledge base seems to indicate that I have a virus in the Windows

System 32 file - one of the .sys drivers. I have checked through the files and found nothing

unusual.Nor do virus scans find anything. I have not recently installed any new hardware or

altered drivers.I have installed a few applications but I am confident that these were OK.To be

sure I have uninstalled (problem still there) and reinstalled.
The event ref is 1001 Category 102. Prior to that I get an Information message ; SNMP Service has

started successfully. After I have a n Info message : The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck

(info saved in Minidump)

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

xania 12:37 27 Oct 2005

You may well have a file corruption which looks like a virus but is not. SFC /scannow may find you problem or you can try booting from your install CD and letting that find and repair your damaged file(s).

CDL 23:49 06 Nov 2005

Thanks for the input xania but alas that didn't solve the problem.
So; I have had to resurect this posting in the hope that someone else has a suggestion !

Any ideas ?

Splork 00:03 07 Nov 2005

Try using a different browser and see if the same problem occurs;
Firefox click here

Opera click here

Check for possible memory problem; click here

CDL 01:15 07 Nov 2005

Thanks Splork. No,unfortunately the problem still occurs with different browsers. I'll run memtest tonight

Splork 01:32 07 Nov 2005

Do you run ADSL via a USB modem?

CDL 12:00 07 Nov 2005

No - can't get broadband unfortunately -dial up via internal modem.
Memtest ran through OK - no errors.

Splork 12:14 07 Nov 2005

You only get the problems while on the 'net? Have you left the machine running for a few hours to see if it crashes regardless ?

xania 12:51 07 Nov 2005

USB modem!! Are you using it via a hub. If so, avoid using te hub and see if that resolves the problem. Hubs are notorius for modem problems.

CDL 15:48 07 Nov 2005

I don't use a USB modem xania (see above).

Yes I have left the machine running overnight,(unconnected)and it's fine.

Splork 16:23 07 Nov 2005

Test it out with another modem if possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?