XP crashing - RPC Termination on Evesham PC

ZootHornRollo 09:39 12 Feb 2004

I had to reinstall XP yesterday as my system was running incredibly slowly and Evesham advised that this was (after trying a few other options that didn't work) the only course of action available. So I reloaded XP and all my hardware and everything was as it should be except that within two mins of accessing the net via my Broadband connection a message appeared saying the system was closing down in one minute. The message stated that the shutdown was initiated by "NT AUTHORITY \ SYSTEM" and went on to say that windows had to "restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly". This happened everytime within a few mins of accessing the net but when not connected the PC was fine. What is this problem and how do I fix it? Evesham helpline is permanently engaged so if anyone can help I'd really appreaciate it

expertec 09:44 12 Feb 2004

You've got the Blaster virus I think. :-(

Taff36 09:45 12 Feb 2004

click here

Follow Jesters instructions (tried & Tested by us all!)

ZootHornRollo 10:00 12 Feb 2004

Thank you Taff and Expertec - - have just gone on to the Sophos site which had got everything I need.
thanks to both of you for both hopefully sorting this out and stopping endless calls to the helpline :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?