Would my existing Router work?

john bunyan 15:41 03 Feb 2019
Answered

I am about to switch ISP's . I am currently on "normal" ie non fibre broadband at 8mbps. I have in the past tried various routers, and my existing one has proved the most reliable, a Netgear DGND 4000. The new ISP, PlusNet, is promising a minimum download of 48 mbps, via fibre to the cabinet.

They will supply a new Hub / router , but do I need to change? I know that for fibre to the house, a new one would ne needed, but does this apply with fibre to the cabinet? I have always found it a faff to switch routers.

Govan1x 13:20 10 Feb 2019

JB. Moving shortly and no connections to Virginmedia in the area. So looking at Plusnet.

Thinking of the 79-80 mb over 1.5 years which is £7 a week cheaper than the 12 months.

Should have added

I have to take line rental with it which is included in the price. it seems a good deal so maybe let us know your speeds when you get connected.

Should have added £27.99 for the 1.5 years and £34.99 for the 12 month contract.

john bunyan 15:34 10 Feb 2019

Govan1x

I decided to stay with my long standing BT phone line. I looked at various alternatives to TT, who BTW , wanted to charge £27 a month for 8mbps BB only! I have been wanting to move. Plusnet scored over BT on recommendations here and that their service phone is in UK. For me they quoted the same FTTC at 66 - 78 mbps; guaranteed 48 mbps of just under £25 for 12 months as it would be for18. I did consider an all in package including unlimited anytime calls at, I think about £47 , but will see how it goes. I will let you know . I will give them a while before looking at a Netgear R7000P router, using Plusnet one to start

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?