Would my existing Router work?

john bunyan 15:41 03 Feb 2019
Answered

I am about to switch ISP's . I am currently on "normal" ie non fibre broadband at 8mbps. I have in the past tried various routers, and my existing one has proved the most reliable, a Netgear DGND 4000. The new ISP, PlusNet, is promising a minimum download of 48 mbps, via fibre to the cabinet.

They will supply a new Hub / router , but do I need to change? I know that for fibre to the house, a new one would ne needed, but does this apply with fibre to the cabinet? I have always found it a faff to switch routers.

Kevin Alders 16:10 03 Feb 2019
Answer

You need a VDSL Modem/Router.

Pine Man 16:14 03 Feb 2019

Just left a message on your other thread to the effect that any decent router should work but most ISPs like you to use theirs as it is easier for them to resolve any issues.

Pine Man 16:27 03 Feb 2019

....further to above I should have said any decent SUITABLE router.

john bunyan 16:30 03 Feb 2019

*Pine Man *

Thanks for other response. Started a new thread on this separate subject.

Kevin Alders

As it is fibre to the cabinet, not house, your answer is at variance to others

john bunyan 16:32 03 Feb 2019

Question is , then , is the Netgear DHND 4000 a “suitable “ one. Sounds dubious,

john bunyan 16:40 03 Feb 2019

Having looked into it further I accept I need a special, new , router.

Kevin Alders 16:53 03 Feb 2019

Ask them to check thier answer.

click here

hastelloy 10:06 04 Feb 2019

When I first switched to fibre I continued to use my Netgear DGND3700 router (I was with Zen at the time). Sadly that has gone to router heaven and I am now using the one supplied by Plusnet.

When the BT engineers came to connect fibre, they installed a new modem to work with my router. I am still using this set up with the Plusnet router.

john bunyan 10:52 04 Feb 2019

hasletoy

Thanks for that. I am getting fibre to cabinet so theoretically BT won’t be coming to house. I noticed you were with Zen, and I would have put them top of list, but others say that Plusnet is more competitive, so I am trying Plusnet for a year, and will try their hub so they can’t argue if speeds etc are not ok. I shall miss the Netgear as it has been most reliable

wee eddie 11:47 04 Feb 2019

I am currently with BT, but have examined the opposition.

I can save money by changing but, in my opinion, the costs of constantly rearranging my email far exceeds any minor saving in cash.

I count my "time" as a cost

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique