Would Firefox solve my problems?

Newuser3068 13:20 04 Dec 2004

I recently had a major problem with an invasion of spyware and an illicit premium rate dialler (fortunately I spotted it and managed to limit my losses to £10). Following advice from this forum I have installed Spybot and Ad-aware, and these two packages have made me acutely aware of just how often spyware tries to get into my computer - like virtually every time I visit a new URL.
I've heard that Firefox is a web browser that's much more secure than IE. Does anyone have any comments for or against using this browser? Are there any disadvantages to having a browser that is not integrated into Windows? (I use ME).
All advice and experiences welcome.

Stuartli 13:40 04 Dec 2004

I've been using Firefox 1.0 (plus the Thunderbird e-mail program) for about a month.

It's operation is very similar to Internet Explorer and you can download an ActiveX plug-in if you wish; it's definitely faster downloading pages and the tab feature is very useful.

Never regretted the change although IE is still available if I wish.

If you make the change both Firefox and Thunderbird will import all (well the vast majority) of your IE/OE configuration, address book, passwords etc.

Stuartli 13:40 04 Dec 2004

I've been using Firefox 1.0 (plus the Thunderbird e-mail program) for about a month.

Its operation is very similar to Internet Explorer and you can download an ActiveX plug-in if you wish; it's definitely faster downloading pages and the tab feature is very useful.

Never regretted the change although IE is still available if I wish.

If you make the change both Firefox and Thunderbird will import all (well the vast majority) of your IE/OE configuration, address book, passwords etc.

bretsky 23:59 04 Dec 2004

For my postings.

bretsky ;0)

Tycho 10:27 05 Dec 2004

I have gone back to using IE6 as I find Firefox very slow. I have a dial up comnnection and use ONSpeed. I have changed to proxy for Onspeed as instructed but hat has made less difference than I would have hoped.

I like the smart menus that IE has but not Ff.

I fand that FF is slow to load up but it does have rather good control of the files that it stores.

N

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Yotam Ottolenghi's latest cookbook is a design feast for the eyes

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs