Worm/Bugbear Virus

Matlot 10:37 06 Jan 2003
  Matlot 10:37 06 Jan 2003

A Worm/Bugbear Virus has installed itself in my :
C\_Restore\Temp\A0062708.cpy File.

AVG states that it cannot move the Virus to it's Vault, nor can it "Heal it".

I am using M/S ME.

Please advise is it safe to DELETE the Restore\Temp File and if so what happens to the Bugbear Virus.

or, How do I rid myself of this Virus.

Thank You,

Geoff

leo49 10:51 06 Jan 2003

click here

Regards

VoG™ 10:52 06 Jan 2003

You need to turn off System Restore. Then AVG should be able to delete the file. Then turn System Restore back on. click here

Andsome 11:47 06 Jan 2003

Bugbear is now a very old virus, and I am surprised that any AV program cannot stop it dead in its tracks. How about uninstalling the freebie and getting Norton on CD rather than a download? Then configure it to automatically find and download updates.

skeletal 14:32 06 Jan 2003

DON’T TICK “disable system restore” as detailed in the link above without reading this!

It removes all your restore points!!!

I have just discovered this to my cost!

I had a virus in one of my restore points, which I knew about and I made sure I wouldn’t go there, but I would have loved to get rid of the rogue point. I had tried all sorts of things without success and thought the link’s idea would be worth a try.

In typical *[email protected] software fashion there was no warning about the removal of points and indeed the word “disable” means to me that you can “re-enable” later without any problems. You can’t!

Obviously, if you don’t mind losing all your points then fine (and it certainly looks to be the only way to completely remove a virus). Also, you can re-enable, but the first point becomes the one generated as you re-boot after the re-enable.

So I now have no restore points!

Now you know.

Unhappy Skeletal

VoG™ 14:37 06 Jan 2003

It is a choice between keeping the virus or your restore points.

Andsome 15:07 06 Jan 2003

I don't have ME, but I understand that it has 'system restore' If this is so can't you restore to a point earlier than when you donwloaded the virus? If this not possible, then just understand that I have no experience of ME.

DieSse 15:16 06 Jan 2003

You don't actually need to remove the virus from the restore folder. From there it can only be activated if you do a restore. As you create new restore points, the old restore information will get overwritten, and the virus will automatically disappear.

Needlesss to say, it's best not to do a restore whilst the virus IS still in the restore folder.

skeletal 15:49 06 Jan 2003

Vog: You are correct! My main moan is that there was no warning within the software. So long as I don't have a problem at the moment, it won't matter. I won't know I'm OK for a few days yet.

Andsome: Yes you can restore to before you got the virus.

I just prefer a "perfect" system (no comments please!!!).

Happier Skeletal (no crashes in last half hour and sun is shining!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)