Workgroup / Domain

Zeltine 11:24 18 Sep 2003

OK, Hi I am in need of some gentle guidance.

A workgroup is basically a shared internet connection, with printer and file sharing capabilities. As opposed to a domain that is hosted by a server with all of the good stuff that comes with server software.

I am helping out on a project and the workgroup is sharing a broadband connection, on windows 2000 pro. Is there anyway to:
Create roaming profiles
Redirect users my documents to a central location.
Desktop Configuration

I think that basically I am trying to say can I configure a workgroup in the same way that I can, adjust a users login on a Windows Server.

Thanks for your time in advance
Ian

mad_yin 18:36 18 Sep 2003

there is a way you can connect 2 or more pc,s in a house/home as i have . you can purtches a router with a modem in-it ie. my one is a asdl 4port router and on setting it up i found that making my work groop in network to NDIA all my pc,s can connect at the same time to the net. i have 3 connected ,you have a network connection so you can share printer and folders ase you need
i hope this helps you in any way ps there are plenty sites on the net that can exsplan it in detail abought routing good luck.

Forum Editor 18:44 18 Sep 2003

as an entity, rather than a collection of individuals. You can grant permissions on a server to a workgroup, allowing all members to read and write to files, or simply to read them etc.

On a Windows server, anyone trying to access the shared resources will be challenged (in my office we call it the NT challenge) for a username and password. Without a correct login these people will not get in, and will not be able to access the group's resources.

That is a wild over-simplification, but am I on the right track - is that what you wanted to know?

Zeltine 13:04 19 Sep 2003

That has clarified my confusion, on further investigation of the system I can alter local paths and directories on the user profile, I am just unsure as to how to initiate the roaming profile. But thanks for your time and help
Ian

johnbhoy 13:12 19 Sep 2003

Zeltine - Try here for more info on Roaming profile creation.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Visual Trends 2018: This year’s must-know colour, design, branding & photography trends

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?