Word97 sticks on splash screen

xuroys 22:43 28 Feb 2006

I am running Win98SE and recently Word97 has been taking longer and longer to load. Now it will not load at all but sticks on the splash screen. I can eventually get rid of the splash screen but by then my system is dangerously low on memory resources and I almost always have to reboot. What's up doc ?
Cheerz,
Baz

xuroys 23:12 28 Feb 2006

Nope, renaming normal.dot didn't do the job. By the way, I already deleted and re-installed Word97 and re-installed Win98SE and the blasted thing is still not working !!!
Baz

Simsy 06:54 01 Mar 2006

deleting all temp files as well...

It might be that when it tried to load previously a temp file was created by a corrupt normal.dot Although you have now got rid of normal.dot, and reinstalled, perhaps there is a temp file that still exists that is causing a problem.

I'm assuming that you reinstalled win98 "over the top", rather than doing a reformat as well?

Regards,

Simsy

xuroys 10:26 01 Mar 2006

I tried your suggestion but still the program stuck on the splash screen and by the time I had got rid of it there wasn't enough memory left to launch Outlook Express !!
Yes, I did re-install Win98SE over the top of the existing program as I am missing too many files to make formatting an option unless in the end it becomes the ONLY option. I can work around this problem if I have to but would prefer to resolve it.
Cheers,
Baz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs