Word prints a Doc with Squares and symbols on XP

bullys 13:56 11 Feb 2003

I have just installed XP on a few machines here and have now come across this problem. When I print a Word doc thru XP it gets set to a printer with a 8 Tray tower. Once its selected the correct tray its prints but as well as the whole text its also printed Squares and other symbols. Only a little mind you but enough to make it look unprofessional. Can any one advise me on what I can do, Have reinstalled Word and still same problem. Have contacted the tower makers but its not there problem. Its deff a Word issue here but just cant pin point it. It only happens with Word running on a XP machine . Its fine on Win98 and the rest.

Thanks
Bully

€dstow 14:29 11 Feb 2003

Do you have the correct printer drivers installed for XP?

bullys 15:12 11 Feb 2003

Funny this . If i try a PCL6 Driver its fine but then it dont Auto select the tray i want it to print from. Im using a PCL 5 e driver and thats allowing me to select the tray but place squares on them . Any thing else ?

€dstow 15:28 11 Feb 2003

Does this happen with different fonts? Try a selection of fonts with the same text. It may be something to do with printer fonts being selected rather than what are sent by Word. If it is that, I'm afraid I haven't a clue how to sort it out.

€d

zipdrive 15:31 11 Feb 2003

Try a post script driver instead of a PCL driver.

€dstow 15:35 11 Feb 2003

Good point, zipdrive, missed that!!

€d

woodchip 15:44 11 Feb 2003

I think that zipdrive is right, is it an Epson by any chance. Because windows will have the Driver but it's not an Exact match for Epson Driver

bullys 16:42 11 Feb 2003

this is and its got a 76 tray laser tower. I have Diff fonts sizes and so on . but still now luck .

jazzypop 17:08 11 Feb 2003

This is a known problem with certain printer drivers and Unicode fonts.

See click here

zipdrive 17:44 11 Feb 2003

It maybe that the printer will not fully work with XP. I have come across this with the TI600pro in Windows2000. We sometimes at work have used the HP laserjet 3 drivers to get round printer problems with HP printers. It could be worth a try.

zipdrive 17:44 11 Feb 2003

It maybe that the printer will not fully work with XP. I have come across this with the TI600pro in Windows2000. We sometimes at work have used the HP laserjet 3 drivers to get round printer problems with HP printers. It could be worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?