Word help (ex WP user)

Carafaraday 14:28 03 Aug 2004

My new pc won't run Word Perfect so I am forced to try and work with Word - any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Recommend a book to assist me - I understand the basics of word processing the WP way, I just need to get to grips with the way Word works.

2. Specifically, how to work with tables in Word. I want to be able to decimal align columns. at the moment I can only align right left or centre.

Taff36 14:58 03 Aug 2004

Well spotted pj123!

Which Version of Word do you have installed and more importantly when it was installed did you choose the option to install the help files specifically for WordPerfect users? If not we can tell you where to find them.

In Word go to help and type in "WordPerfect" - It will list a few tips and tricks plus some useful help files.

Also type in "Working with Tables" and that should give you more specific information. Suggest you print a few pages off before you rush out to buy a book.

Post back if you`re stuck.

Taff36 15:17 03 Aug 2004

Re-read my post. Help should give you the information but the add on`s for WP users is an extra. To check if it`s installed we need to know what operating system you have as well as the version of Word. (e.g. Windows XP and Word 2002)Sorry - hope I`m not confusing the matter

Carafaraday 16:34 03 Aug 2004

First of all many thanks to everyone who took trouble to respond.

I'll try the upside down T + dot - I knew it worked for tabs, didn't know it would also work in tables.

I am using Word 2002 - part of the package with Windows XP home.

Am off to investigate Curio's site - I may be some time!

Carafaraday 16:43 03 Aug 2004

Can't seem to work out how to use the T + dot in a table..........

Carafaraday 17:29 03 Aug 2004

I've tried both methods but without success so far. The tab stop on the ruler at the top is now changed to decimal but it doesn't seem to affect what's in the table, even if I retype it.

Carafaraday 17:37 03 Aug 2004

Yes!

Carafaraday 17:39 03 Aug 2004

Have started again from scratch - lo and behold it works perfectly! How frustrating, but thank you everyone.

Any other helpful hints would be most appreciated - this has taken me the best part of a day to work out!

Taff36 08:05 04 Aug 2004

Morning! Let`s just check if you`ve got Help for WordPerfect installed. In Word go to help, wait for the full menu to drop down and see if "WordPerfect Help" is a selectable option. This is a different option to the "Microsoft Word Help". Let me know if it is.

Carafaraday 08:52 04 Aug 2004

Yes, I have the WP help, thanks. I'm just not very good at finding what I want in it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)