Wonky Windows!

[email protected]@K @ ME! 20:35 02 Nov 2003

All of my windows have become unsquare,sorta out of shape..unsymetrical..It doesn't matter if i ajust the monitor settings, my full display pulls to the left (esp bottom left)hence if i open any window it looks very uneven....NO mangnets nearby.It looks like the image on screen is buckled :(...Iv'e reinstalled XP and it hasn't helped,i flashed the bios,no joy.
Ok....here's the interesting bit, at boot up even the bios page etc are wonky on screen....which leads to A. the monitor or B. the graphics card(humble mx 400).

Anyone got any idea whats gone wrong! THX.

Gongoozler 20:42 02 Nov 2003

This is almost certainly a monitor phenomenon, but it could be the result of running the monitor at a resolution/refresh rate combination that it doesn't like.

VoG II 20:43 02 Nov 2003

Can you try (a) your monitor on another 'puter (b) another monitor on your 'puter ?

Gongoozler 20:44 02 Nov 2003

----- but if it's wonky even at the BIOS screen, then it really looks like the monitor is in trouble. Can you try your computer on a different monitor - or your monitor on a different computer?

Gongoozler 20:44 02 Nov 2003

----- but if it's wonky even at the BIOS screen, then it really looks like the monitor is in trouble. Can you try your computer on a different monitor - or your monitor on a different computer?

VoG II 20:46 02 Nov 2003

Is there an echo in here ;o))

[email protected]@K @ ME! 20:56 02 Nov 2003

Ive got my mates graphic card and monitor coming tomorrow....i hope it aint my monitor it's only a year old :(.....daft Qeustion .can malicious software do this,like write to the mobo or graphics card?.............. Iv'e all ways ran my windows on 1200\960 at 100 hz,but i have checked the option in the card software to not list modes i cannot use.The monitors a mitsubishi diamond pro 920....thanx for the reply's.

[email protected]@K @ ME! 22:37 03 Nov 2003

It gets worse!!....tried another monitor and graphics card.....still no change to the problem,still wonky windows :(.....any suggestions?

BarryKeith 22:54 03 Nov 2003

You will probably have to replace the PSU, it is more than likely that the smoothing capacitors have died, or the PSU is just not powerful enough to run your system and has succumbed to the extra loading that it wasn't designed to handle.

A_World_Maker 23:14 03 Nov 2003

I dont suppose you have done something like moved a strong magnet (unsheilded speakers etc) near the monitor recently?

[email protected]@K @ ME! 23:28 03 Nov 2003

Nope no magnets....i wish it was that simple,also i can't understand how the psu can effect the screen?....imagine a square,now pull the bottom left inwards like moving the bottom pin on the monitor,this is what my screen looks like?....iv'e changed the monitor and GFX card,flashed the bios ,reset the cmos,swapped the memory sticks,ran mem test...still corrupted image....i think it's the mobo,the only thing i havn't tried yet is a PCI card instead of AGP.......THx for the help lads but my MSI is going to be snapped into cornflakes shortly :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?