Wirless BB Help

  [email protected]© 16:46 02 Jun 2006

I have BB from NTL through a set-top box. There is going to be another computer in the house which also requires internet access which I believe I need to do wirelessly because NTL do not support 2 BB accounts in the one house. How easy is it to set up and what hardware will I require? My computer will be receiving the connection from the set-top box and the one downstairs will be the stand alone computer. Links for the hardware would be appreciated if possible. Thanks.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 02 Jun 2006

Hi if youd like my advice, youd want to make sure that all the equipment you buy is from one manafacturer, this makes the set up/ install a hell of a lot easier and less time consuming. Plus they might even come with little features that help set-up with products of the same make, i.e. Belkin might search and set up for similar belkin products.

Also bear in mind that if it says 54mbps(megabytes per second) it wont be anything near that fast, probably more around 10mbps.

  mgmcc 17:38 02 Jun 2006

You need a stand-alone wireless router, usually described as a "Wireless Cable/DSL Router". Do not confuse the reference to DSL with models that have a built-in ADSL modem - these are *NOT* suitable for use with Cable broadband.

You connect the router's WAN (Wide Area network or Internet) port to the ethernet port on the Set-top box and connect the PCs either to one of the router's LAN ports by ethernet cable or "wirelessly".

Note that it is the router which connects to the ISP and gets the one IP address that they allocate. It in turn allocates LAN IP addresses to the networked computers and "routes" the internet traffic to the appropriate computer in the network.

Any computers that you want to connect wirelessly to the router also need to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed.

A Wireless Cable/DSL Router from any of the mainstream suppliers should be fine - Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link etc.

I'm currently using a Linksys WRT54GS with Telewest and I also have a Buffalo WYR-G54 which is a very neat and inexpensive little router if you can get hold of one click here

  [email protected]© 17:40 02 Jun 2006

If I buy the suggested router that mgmcc says what about the thing that goes in the back of the receiving pc?

  [email protected]© 21:56 02 Jun 2006


  mgmcc 22:09 02 Jun 2006

<<< what about the thing that goes in the back of the receiving pc? >>>

As I said in the earlier message - "Any computers that you want to connect wirelessly to the router also need to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed."

For a Desktop PC, you can either install a PCI Wireless Network Adapter internally or plug in a USB one. For a laptop, use either a PCMCIA card or a USB one. I actually use Belkin adapters with the Buffalo router and haven't had any problems.

  josie mayhem 22:16 02 Jun 2006

I also use Belkin adapters with a bt voyager 2091 wireless adls/router, would have been a 5 min job with the laptop pcmcia adapter if I hadn't read the ssid number wrong... with my reading glasses on I still read the last digit as a 8 and not a 6, took 2 1/2 hours to realize this... when I was getting the signal from the router (and another one from a neighbours network) and still couldn't log onto my connection, 2 1/2 hours before I decided to check the ssid number what a plonker am I?

  [email protected]© 07:32 03 Jun 2006

Could you provide a link to a suitable adapter that will work in conjunction with the router please.

  mgmcc 12:36 03 Jun 2006

Belkin USB WiFi adapter - click here

Belkin PCI WiFi adapter - click here

Buffalo USB WiFi adapter - click here

Buffalo PCI WiFi adapter - click here

  PaulOwen 09:53 04 Jun 2006


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?