Wirelss Network Security - Is it Neccessary?

thegreypanther 19:40 22 Apr 2006

My wireless network is not secured and is open access. My question is, - does this matter? I am quite happy for "outsiders" to piggy-back on my wireless connection, but does this put me at risk from hackers? Should I ensure that my wirless network is FULLY protected?

woodchip 20:04 22 Apr 2006

Yes fully. You should setup Encryption on the Router and wireless computers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 22 Apr 2006

So you happy for me to use your connection to go on dubious sites with your IP address, downloading illicit material using your bandwidth (slowing your own connection)?

Secure your connection!!!!!

bremner 20:15 22 Apr 2006

Securing the network will prevent the kind of use described by Fruit Bat and for that reason alone you are better securing the connection.

However in terms of hacking it will make little difference. Should anyone want to access your machine the protection provided by the wireless router will be easily bypassed.

The point is why would anyone want to hack your machine.

SG Atlantis® 20:17 22 Apr 2006

This has to be the daftest question ever.

I'm sorry, but it is.

SECURE IT.

thegreypanther 22:15 22 Apr 2006

WHY is this the daftest question ever?

VoG II 22:21 22 Apr 2006

It isn't a daft question but the answer is yes - lock it dowm. If you right click the wireless connections icon in the notification area and select View available wireless networks, you could be surprised.

SG Atlantis® 22:47 22 Apr 2006

If anything can be secured then it's best to secure it. Never leave anything to chance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?