Is wireless worth it?

ste_bla 23:43 14 May 2004

I have one question and that is; is wireless networking worth it? At home (inc Fam Comps) i have 3x Desktops 1x Laptop, going to go BB soon as move house and i was wondering the cost of wireless products is it worth going wireless??

I mean if you use ethernet wired networking you looking at 10 pound a card, 1.20/m for wire, and 40 quid for router.. so thats roughly 70quid (only need 1 NIC) or so for me and thats the cost of 2 wireless cards from what i can tell.

Also wired networks are faster arnt they? i mean i know you will never realistically manage 100mb/sec but it still faster than wireless.

Also security is better on wired isnt it coz the only way someone can tell whats going through wires is being next to them to where as wireless then can be the otherside of street in a car!

And one last thing i have been reading that all products even if they are all compatable dont always work? whats up with that??

So my question is has anyone got surgestions how i could get cheaper wireless with good security built in and/or progs for it? Or should i just go the wired route?

VoG II 23:49 14 May 2004

Got wireless here.

No problems - well Al Queda popped in the other night - but that's about it.

computernerdiamnot 01:15 15 May 2004

Most wireless routers have security

True Firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks, while VPN (Virtual Private Network) pass-through permits secure access to your office or corporate network and enables you to host VPN services. Content filtering lets you control access to inappropriate web sites and limit usage by time of day. Logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitor access. DMZ support allows unrestricted access from the Internet to one computer (for hosting web services).

computernerdiamnot 01:15 15 May 2004

Most wireless routers have security

True Firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks, while VPN (Virtual Private Network) pass-through permits secure access to your office or corporate network and enables you to host VPN services. Content filtering lets you control access to inappropriate web sites and limit usage by time of day. Logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitor access. DMZ support allows unrestricted access from the Internet to one computer (for hosting web services).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?