Wireless Security - 2 Questions

dave_and_confused 16:34 07 May 2005

Sorry for all the questions but new to Wireless....

Buffalo WYR-G54

1) What does the encryption protect me from? People "stealing" or reading my data? Or does it stop unauthorised users connecting to my wireless network? Or both? Or Niether?

2) My router has an optional "Allow" list for Wireless Devices. When i plugged in a Belkin 802.11g Adapter to an old PC i expacted it to be blocked but it wasn't. It wasn't until i removed it from the Allow list that it was locked out. Why does my router behave like this?

selfbuild 18:16 07 May 2005

It's suppose to stop people using your connection unless they have the WEP key..... and if they don't have the WEP key then they can't access the internet or your network, so your data is safe..... You have changed the default password on the router?

As for the Belkin 802.11g Adapter being able to connect straight away..... It's probably down to the adapter set to obtain it's IP address etc from the router.

The best way to stop this is by hiding your wireless network as i've said in your other thread

dave_and_confused 18:50 07 May 2005

You have changed the default password on the router?

Just done it...

As for the Belkin 802.11g Adapter being able to connect straight away..... It's probably down to the adapter set to obtain it's IP address etc from the router.

So not sure how that allows it access to the net by default..

The best way to stop this is by hiding your wireless network as i've said in your other thread

Still unsure about what that means? How an you hide a wireless broadcast?

dave_and_confused 18:50 07 May 2005

You have changed the default password on the router?

Just done it...

So not sure how that allows it access to the net by default..

Still unsure about what that means? How can you hide a wireless broadcast?

raeman 20:01 07 May 2005

Try diasbling the SSID broadcast on the router this should 'hide' the network . Should be in the router config menu not sure on the Buffalo one but is an option on my 3COM one so it's probably standard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?