Wireless routers - technical novice

  serendipity7000 13:04 19 Jul 2008

Hi - I live in a large house with thick stone walls, which I share with two other people. One of my housemates has broadband and has put in a router (attached to his computer by a cable) to provide wi fi for the house. However the signal is only strong enough in the immediate vicinity of his room. Can I get another router (cable free) that works by remote control with the original one and put it elsewhere in the house to extend signal strength? If so, which one? Or do I need to just get a completely new router (cable free) to put centrally in the house? And if so, which one?!! Many thanks in anticipation.

  ambra4 13:30 19 Jul 2008
  GANDALF <|:-)> 14:22 19 Jul 2008

Homeplugs are the easy way forward click here


  serendipity7000 15:18 19 Jul 2008

Thanks very much. The antennae looks good (not sure if our existing one is detachable, need to check) - thanks ambra. Re the plugs Gandalf - had a look - it says you need two. Apologies for being so ignorant, but could you give me an idea of how this works? Do I plug one into the existing router and one elsewhere or something? Presume it just 'spreads' the signal. Thanks in anticipation.

  serendipity7000 15:22 19 Jul 2008

Actually, just read the article which tells you how it works. Not sure this would do it as I need it for my Blackberry! Not a computer, so can't plug it into the second plug. Just need stronger wi fi signal. Or have I got this wrong about it needing connecting to second plug?

  Ditch999 15:41 19 Jul 2008

The Homeplug option is for wired connections and you need 2 of them at least. You could buy a wireless access point/router and connect it via cable to the Homeplug and put it where you want it, but adding it all together, its expensive.
One thing about Homeplugs - they dont always work depending on the wiring of the house.

  Pineman100 16:24 19 Jul 2008

click here

I can't vouch for this particular one, but there are lots of range extenders on the market.

The only problem you have is that you won't know whether it works until you try it, so if you decide to buy one, I should say to the retailer "Can I return it if it doesn't do the job?"

  serendipity7000 13:07 22 Jul 2008

Thanks I think you are right. Looked at - signal booster (but reckon it might not boost enough) and various range extenders, but as you say, reckon I won't know till I try it, as an article I read said anything with M or MIMO might not talk to your computer without the right software. Was looking at the Netgear Rangemax - anyone know if Netgear are flexible about returns if it doesn't work on your system?

  Pineman100 17:42 22 Jul 2008

I don't think it's Netgear who you want to be flexible. You need to talk nicely to the retailer, whoever you choose.

  Pineman100 17:45 22 Jul 2008

serendipity, please go to your parallel thread on the Networking forum and close it. Click in the little box at the bottom to put a tick in it, then click Resolved.

Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?