Wireless router, please help!!

scott0004 19:33 21 Apr 2006

Hello,

I bought myself a D-Link wireless router and I have come accross a problem I'm mega stuck with.

I have got my ADSL connection light on but during the instalation its asking for my BT Broadband username and password, BT have never given me one, I have connected BT and requested one but I had a similar problem at work and I kept being told broadband doesnt need a username and password.

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Many Thanks in advance

Scott

wobblymike 19:36 21 Apr 2006

I've never heard tell of such a thing - you have to have a user name and password otherwise how are you going to be verified as a broadband user and that is regardless of ISP.

If you have signed up to BT broadband you must have a user name and password - if you haven't got one how have you got onto the net?

johnnyrocker 19:50 21 Apr 2006

i believe some bb connections are 'always on?' depending on equipment in use, it is that way with mine, as soon as i boot my pc i am connected with no logging on, is it posible that the router is asking for the purposes of security ie so you enable router when you go to connect?

johnny.

johnny.

scott0004 19:52 21 Apr 2006

All I've had to do is install my modem and thats it, theres no pop up or any such thing to enter a username and password.

martjc 19:54 21 Apr 2006

..and passwords, but if the installation prog is asking for one, BT should give it to you after some security questions. Givew them a ring!

Ikelos 19:56 21 Apr 2006

your user name is your prime email address often with something like HG4 after the @ then your password, one you are on line it will not ask for it again..

smy13 20:09 21 Apr 2006

click here
this link tell you how to get the info you need from BT or where to find it

scott0004 21:14 21 Apr 2006

Thank you very much smy13, I'm now sitting in the conservatory with my laptop so I'm more than pleased thank you every for your input.

Scott

woodchip 21:22 21 Apr 2006

Always On still need a User Name and Password as Mine is always on . But I had to enter them on the Setup page of router

mammak 21:29 21 Apr 2006

With BT Broadband user name is "[email protected]" password not usually needed but if the router insists the type "BT"uppercase.without quotessame go's for the user name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?