Wireless Router Connection Problem

harleyd 15:21 21 Nov 2008

I've a Siemens SE587 WLAN wireless router, which is wired into my desktop PC (XP system) & working fine. I'm trying to connect up an old Dell XP laptop, in wireless format, using a Linksys WPC54G ver3 adapter (no disc) which tells me on occasions "I'm connected to the access point, but the Internet can't be found" or sometimes it will say "No association with the access point". Incidentally I have actually connected with the internet, for over an hour or so, but I haven't a clue as to how I managed it. Any help really would be appreciated, but please make it simple as I'm totally lost on this

recap 21:01 21 Nov 2008

You can configure the Linksys by going to the admin page, it's usually 192.168.0.1. Once this is set up you can use the Windows Wireless connection wizard to set up the Dell laptop using a USB stick.

mgmcc 11:21 22 Nov 2008

>>> I'm trying to connect up an old Dell XP laptop,
>>> in wireless format, using a Linksys WPC54G ver3
>>> adapter (no disc)

You can download drivers for that Wireless Network Adapter from click here

>>> tells me on occasions "I'm connected to the
>>> access point, but the Internet can't be found"
>>> or sometimes it will say "No association with
>>> the access point"

You need to "Connect" to your wireless network. In other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

If you think you're connected to the wireless network but don't have internet access, check what IP address the adapter has by going into the Network Connections folder and highlighting the Wireless Network Connection. It should probably be a 192.168.x.x address. click here

harleyd 12:45 22 Nov 2008

Hi again. I've had a look at the network connections & the main PC's fine, but the laptop entries are blank, no IP address, Subnet Mask etc. Presumably thats the problem. How do I resolve that?

mgmcc 13:47 22 Nov 2008

In the Laptop, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there.

harleyd 14:14 22 Nov 2008

Hi mgmcc. Hope this helps.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\R042MZK>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LAPTOP1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 10/100 Mini PCI Ethernet Adapte
r
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-76-45-83-08

PPP adapter Tiscali Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.68.179.247
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 79.68.179.247
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.139.132.25

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tiscali.co.uk
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
WPC54G Ver.3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-BF-B0-40-48
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\R042MZK>

mgmcc 16:36 22 Nov 2008

Now I'm confused because the Laptop is connected directly to Tiscali and has your *PUBLIC* IP address (79.68.179.247) which should go to the Modem/Router as its WAN IP address. The router should then allocate a 192.168.1.x address to the Laptop. I assume you do have a *COMBINED* "Router & ADSL Modem" which plugs into the phone line to replace any USB ADSL Modem?

harleyd 12:50 23 Nov 2008

Yes, it plugs directly into the phone line. Any ideas where I go from here?

mgmcc 13:38 23 Nov 2008

Just to absolutely clear, you should have the combined "Router & ADSL Modem" plugged into the phone line and that's all. You *MUST NOT* also have a separate USB ADSL Modem plugged in. If you have it set up with only the Modem/Router connected, I cannot see how you could have this entry:

PPP adapter Tiscali Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 79.68.179.247
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 79.68.179.247
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.139.132.25

harleyd 14:03 23 Nov 2008

The only thing plugged into the phone line is the Siemens SE587 Router/Modem, there is no other USB modem plugged in, although it is 'set-up' on the laptop system (disconnected). But thinking about it I sent you the laptop connection details via the USB modem as it was the easy option & then disconnected it again. Perhaps this has caused the confusion

mgmcc 16:41 23 Nov 2008

>>> I sent you the laptop connection details
>>> via the USB modem

That's why it has the addresses allocated by the ISP!

Without the USB connection running, try connecting the Laptop to the router by ethernet cable, *NOT* wirelessly, run IPCONFIG /ALL again and paste the details into a Notepad file. Then connect with the USB Modem and copy/paste the details from the Notepad file into a reply here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)