Hot Topics

Wireless networking for two computers

  anniesboy68 15:46 05 Jan 2004

I have a cptr with a Prism 11g wirless adaptor card. What do I need to connect to another computer in the same room running XP but with USB1.And will the second computer be able to access my NTL cable broadband connection, please

  anniesboy68 17:07 05 Jan 2004

Hmm, spikeychris....looks a bit complicated. I am totally usless on this sort of thing..what is WAN? What is WIFI, and what is MAC.? As I see it now [forgetting NTL connection for now] I need another wireless network card for the second computer and a wireless router.. Right?

  anniesboy68 17:45 05 Jan 2004

I'm out of my depth here, will wait and consult a friend methinks. Thanks for the replys however.

  Forum Editor 18:07 05 Jan 2004

That's what we're here for.

WAN = Wide Area Network as opposed to

LAN = Local Area Network.

MAC address = a unique 12-digit identification number, assigned to all networking hardware for identification. No two hardware devices have the same MAC address on a network.

Forget about all that for the moment though, because you should be able to have broadband connection sharing without having to bother about any of it.

Why don't you get an NTL Actiontec Home Gateway wireless bundle for £99.00 and have it all set up in a very short time? The bundle includes a wireless router, a USB adapter for your computer, and the necessary software. Your existing wireless network card should be OK.

Set up the router - the instructions are pretty easy to follow, and connect the USB adapter to the second PC. You should now be able to share the broadband connection between the two machines, and it isn't necessary for one of them to be on when you want to use the Internet on the other one.

What does 'WiFi' mean?

It's the logo of WECA (Wireless Ethernet Compatibility Alliance) that is a group of companies founded by 3Com, Cisco, Intersil, Lucent, Nokia and Symbol whose aim is to provide a marketing and interoperability alliance for ieee 802.11b.The WiFi logo stands for 'Wireless Fidelity' and demonstrates this compliance.

  Forum Editor 18:08 05 Jan 2004

if I remembered to post the link for the NTL wireless bundle, you can read all about it if you
click here

  anniesboy68 19:22 05 Jan 2004

Forum Editor. Thank you, it is becomming a lot clearer now. The wireless Adaptor connects by USB to the second computer, USB1 mind, not 2.However, how does the "router" recieve the signal from the host computer, ie the one connected on NTL cable.By means of my existing wireless networking card I would assume. Is that correct. And once again, please excuse my very limited knowlege on this. And I see on the website you included, files can be transferred also. If I have understood that the foregoing is correct I shall be spending again.

  Forum Editor 19:42 05 Jan 2004

from a host computer, because you don't need one. The Wireless Router simply connects to your existing broadband connection and transmits it wirelessly to any wireless network adapter that's in range.

That's why any computer can use the internet without any other machine being on - the router is on, and it does the work.

Don't apologise for your limited knowledge - nobody knows how to do this the first time around. Within a short time you'll be completely at home with your new network, and you'll be reassuring other beginners here, in the forum, when they set one up for the first time.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to come back for more help/advice if you need it.

  anniesboy68 19:47 05 Jan 2004

OK, but what about file transfering. I thought networking was for that also! Is that where my wireless networking card comes into being?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Resident Evil 3 review

Online portfolios: how to get your work out there while staying in

Apple 'to drop support for Apple Watch Series 2'

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour voitures (2020)