Wireless networking

loopyloo 17:15 18 Jan 2006

I am wishing to purchase a laptop computer. I already have a desktop computer with NTL broadband. The cable modem is in the lounge because it used to be in the digi box but now a stand alone modem. My desktop computer is in another room downstairs. I don't know anything about wireless networking but want to purchase a laptop so I can use anywhere in the home for the internet. What do I need and do I need a different modem or equipment. The broadband modem uses the ethernet connection. Do the two computers link uptogether to use the same network. Any help would be appreciated

Mitul123 17:21 18 Jan 2006

im using a router called NETGEAR for my laptop and my desktop pc wirelessly so you can be on the internet on both computers simultaneously. i have the internet from my set-top box(digi box) . i have found that NETGEAR is a use full router but im not quite sure if i can network the 2 pcs as i am quite new to the router.

The Kestrel 17:35 18 Jan 2006

You will need a wireless router to connect to the modem in downstairs room. If your laptop comes with a wireless card, as most new laptops do now, then you will be able to connect to the internet via the router. You could also by a USB wireless adapter for your desktop, and this would enable you to connect to the internet through the desktop too. USB adapters are quite inexpensive now, some less than £20 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?