wireless networking

david s 22:06 14 Feb 2005

I am trying to network two computers and to use common broadband connection.
First question - Can I network one computer with XP and one with 98 or do I have to install XP on the 98 machine

Second question - I was advised to purchase two bluetooth usb adaptors of which are belkin and I find that neither XP or 98 will reconise these adaptors even though I have installed the drivers. I have also a Bluetooth access point & broadband router by Newlink which does not appear to work and indicates when connected to the modem that there is no connection.

I am only a novice so I hope you can someone can help.
Thanks
David

Chezdez 22:10 14 Feb 2005

theres a networking forum now, use the 'jump to' at the bottom of the forum page, and repost in there, whilst leaving this to die out, cheers

LeadingMNMs 22:12 14 Feb 2005

Networking between 98SE and XP shouldn't be a problem, however I'm not sure if it works with plain 98.

I'm really not sure about bluetooth devices, though I am a little confused as to why you were advised to get them. I'd have personally thought that WiFi (802.11x) would have been the better idea.

FelixTCat 22:31 14 Feb 2005

The biggest problem with bluetooth is range. All your devices would have to be within 6 feet of one another to have any chance of connection. If it was a store who advised you to use bluetooth, you should be able to get your money back as it is a totally unsuitable solution.

david s 23:06 14 Feb 2005

Im sorry to be ignorant but the bluetooth spec on the boxes claim 10 - 100m ranges

toni b 00:07 15 Feb 2005
  FelixTCat 09:11 15 Feb 2005

david s

Perhaps it does. Achieving it is something else. You have already discovered the first problem with Bluetooth. If you wanted to connect your PDA to the internet, then a Bluetooth connection to a computer which is internet-connected would be a viable solution. What you are proposing is not.

Exchange all our equipment for 802.11g compliant equipment and you stand a chance of success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?