Wireless Network

Sparkys 16:44 21 Jan 2005

I have just purchased a laptop with a wireless card. I already have 2 pc's, 1 connected to NTL Broadband. What do I need and how do you set up a wirless network.
I am not that pc literate, so simple instructions would be appreciated.

johnnyrocker 17:07 21 Jan 2005

click here and click here

johnny.

LeadingMNMs 17:07 21 Jan 2005

Probably a good idea to do a search in this forum, there are numerous posts everyday.

^wave^ 17:11 21 Jan 2005

how do u connect your other 2 the internet

TomJerry 17:28 21 Jan 2005

if you have a wired router already, just connect this wireless one to the wired one

if you do not have a wired router, then connect new wireless router to NTL modem and all PC connect to this new router

Linksys Etherfast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router With 4Port Switch £34 click here, great and cheap but look ugly to me

D-link Di-624+ 54mbps 802.11g Router £46, cost slightly more, but with firewall and look much nicer click here

if you already have a wired router and want a small pocket size wireless access point: Asus WL-330G Pocket Wireless Access Point (G Version)£32.86 click here

Sparkys 17:45 21 Jan 2005

the 2nd pc is not connected to the internet.

Would i need new network cards for both pc's??

Chezdez 17:51 21 Jan 2005

please just do a search for network in the forum

there are probably hundreds of posts regarding this, i'm sure you'll find the answer in one of them

hurry up and get the network forum up!!!!

TomJerry 19:07 21 Jan 2005

so you can get either linksys or d-link I suggested above

as for network card, Ebuyer PCI 10/100 Network Card Retail Box £2.34 click here, you need to open up PC and insert this card to a spare PCI slot

if you really do not want open PC, you can get Dynamode USB 10/100 Rj45 Adapter £6.96 click here

if you need some network cable (cat 5e), you can get from ebuyer (not Ebay) as well click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?