Wireless network.

ShanghaiDave 14:52 26 Aug 2004

Currently my wireless network is very simple, two usb wifi dongles and my laptop and desktop simply talk to each other. However in my house the laptop is the main computer and the desktop is only on now and again. Thus at the moment the usb modem supplied to me by my ISP always has to be connected to my laptop where ever I go and is kind of annoying as you can imagine. (It is also not possible to have the desktop pc on all the time and have that connected to the modem)

I have seen a wireless router on ebuyer click here

My question is would this enable me to have my laptop anywhere in the house and not have to be physically connected to the router via usb or some sort of cable. Just have my laptop talking to the router via wifi?

johnsims 15:01 26 Aug 2004

Your Modem is USB. Does that mean it gets it's power from the USB connection? If so, the modem will only work if the Router can accept a USB connection AND also provide power for the modem through that USB port.

The modem you link to is 802.11b. Are the dongles capable of talking to an 802.11b device?

I would have thought you would be better to buy a combined ethernet modem/router/wireless access point. I would also make sure it is from the same manufacturer as the USB dongles and that all three bits of kit are designed for the same wireless standard - either 802.11b or 802.11g

The modem kinked to is quite cheap - probably because it is 802.11b which is an older slower standard than 802.11g, although it does have a better range.

ShanghaiDave 15:05 26 Aug 2004

I think you mis-understood me. If I was to buy the router I linked to then I would not use the usb modem whatsoever as the router I linked to has a modem built in. But yes the dongles are capable of talking to 802.11b devices and for my network I don't need any more than 11mbps.

Basically all I want to know is if I were to buy the router in the link would to enable both computers to be able to access the internet wirlessly and never have to be connected to the router by any means other than 802.11b

pmjd 15:21 26 Aug 2004

Is the basic answer to your question.

However, when you go wireless you really need to start thinking about security. The 802.11b standard uses wep encryption, which can be broken. This could leave your network open to possible abuse or misuse and any shared directories or files open to everyone.

Most 802.11g devices are capable of using the more secure WPA security standard and should be upgradable to the forthcoming 802.11i security standard. Spend a few more quid on something like this
click here
which includes a PCMCIA g standard card. This gives you the better WPA security as well as a firewall for the BB connection. For the desktop just buy a cheap network card and connect it to the router via a network cable, alot less hassle, unless you need to position the router in a different position to get better range for your laptop.

Forgot to ask what USB adapters are you using?

Hope this info helps,
Paul

pmjd 15:24 26 Aug 2004

Is the basic answer to your question.

However, when you go wireless you really need to start thinking about security. The 802.11b standard uses wep encryption, which can be broken. This could leave your network open to possible abuse or misuse and any shared directories or files open to everyone.

Most 802.11g devices are capable of using the more secure WPA security standard and should be upgradable to the forthcoming 802.11i security standard. Spend a few more quid on something like this
click here
which includes a PCMCIA g standard card. This gives you the better WPA security as well as a firewall for the BB connection. For the desktop just buy a cheap network card and connect it to the router via a network cable, alot less hassle, unless you need to position the router in a different position to get better range for your laptop.

Forgot to ask what USB adapters are you using?

Hope this info helps,
Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts