from wireless modem router g to n

pookie 15:09 05 Apr 2010

windows xp sp3 1gb ram. My desktop is about 6 years old but all bios etc up to date with latest drivers (although last update was about 4 years ago.

I have posted this in the networking forum as well.

I connect to internet through talktalk up to 8Mb. I have a d link g wireless modem router and use ethernet cable to computer. The d link modem router is about 4 years old and all driver up to date but again last update was several years ago. Graphics card drivers are current.

Thinking of getting Belkin n modem router mainly as was at friends the other night. he has n laptop and online videos were very clear and smooth. I came home and looked at same videos and mine were slow and patchy. The belkin doesn't come with wireless adaptor but i'd connect using my ethernet cable.

click here

The n + version is £20 more.

Internet use is using videos and for wifi about the house.

is n+ worth the £20 more than n?

will the ethernet cable I have to pc be as fast as an actual n wireless adaptor would be as i don't want to spend £30 on n wireless adaptor?

is my old motherboard a limiting factor in anyway?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 05 Apr 2010

"use ethernet cable to computer"

will be faster than wireless

If your videos are stuttering then either download problem through your phone lines / router, check download speed up to 8Meg dosn't mean your actually getting anywhere near that.

Low memory / lack of hard drive space could also be a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts