Wireless Lan

loganakajon 19:47 19 Jun 2004

Ok can someone explain to me what im doin wrong:
I have an origo wireless router which is hard wired to 3 pcs around the house they all work fine, but i have tried to add a laptop to the network (wireless lan card) but i keep getting : Media state ..........Media disconected on ipconfig/all. The card in question is an EDIMAX 2.4GHz OFDM 54Mbps Cardbus . Ive installed/reinstalled updated drivers rolled back drivers but still, media disconnected. I am running winxp home on laptop, win2000 pro on this pc win2000 pro on other 3 pcs i also tried a BELKIN 54g cardbus but it still says the same media disconnected!
Am i missing something in winxp do ihave to do anything special to obtain an ip so i can ipconfig?

zipdrive 19:57 19 Jun 2004

You could try using a static ip address in the range 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.253. Have you got a Firewall which could be causing the problem? I know if using Zone Alarm you have to add the new ip into the trusted zone.

loganakajon 20:06 19 Jun 2004

I do have Zone alarm but i disabled it before installation, i have tried a static ip but i cannot get the laptop to give info in ipconfig/all it just says media disconnected

zipdrive 20:15 19 Jun 2004

I think Zone Alarm is causing the problem. I suggest giving the laptop a staic ip say 192.168.2.41. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and Gateway 192.168.2.254. Added the static ip into the trusted zone within Zone Alarm. Once this is done open a DOS window and try and ping the laptop from the main PC. You could also try IPCONFIG /Release then Renew before trying the above.

Also when you insert the wireless card does the O/S pick it up? Other things to check are the Channel you are using, the WEP settings and passphases ETC.

loganakajon 20:27 19 Jun 2004

So would you say if i was to uninstall zone alarm on the laptop then add trusted ip addresses on this pc 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.109 then reinstall the wireless lan it might work?

zipdrive 20:32 19 Jun 2004

I think that is well worth a try. I thought ZA was on the other PC's and not the laptop. You would need to add the other PC's Ip addresses into the trusted zone within ZA on the laptop and lower the security to medium. Try that before uninstalling it.

loganakajon 21:17 19 Jun 2004

Ok ive found the problem How the hell do i sort this out: THE REMOTE ACCESS SERVER CANNOT REGISTER THE NAME OF YOUR COMPUTER ON THE NETWORK. THIS GENERALLY OCCURS WITH THE NETBIOS PROTOCOL BUT IT MAY ALSO OCCUR WITH TCP/IP OR IPX PROTOCOLS. TYPICALLY , THE ERROR OCCURS WHEN AN IP ADDRESS IS ALREADY IN USE ON THE NETWORK. CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR.

loganakajon 21:22 19 Jun 2004

My laptop is trying to have the same ip address as this pc 192.168.1.100 what do i have to do? any ideas

zipdrive 22:21 19 Jun 2004

Thats because you have not given the laptop a static ip address or you have used an address already used by one of the other PC's you have. As stated above go into the TCP/IP properties and set the static IP.

3rdday 22:29 19 Jun 2004

Can anyone advise me as to why games performance might be bad on my Linux system? While games perform perfectly adequately in Windows Me on the same PC, even simple games in Linux are impossible to play, with frame rates of less than one per second. I've tried both Mandrake Linux and Fedora Core and they are both the same in this respect. Both correctly identify the graphics card, so I presume that they have loaded the driver for it.

3rdday 22:31 19 Jun 2004

Sorry - replied to this post by mistake instead of starting a new one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?