Wireless keyboard and mouse use during startup?

Thurrafork 22:31 13 Dec 2005

Hello all!
Probably a foolish question. My new system has a wireless keyboard and mouse - splendid. But it functions only within windows, so what if on startup there's a 'non-system disk' in the floppy drive requiring me to press any key; or more importantly I have to Tab or Delete my way into the setup page? How can this be done with a wireless keyboard/mouse, when at that stage they are not working?

GaT7 22:40 13 Dec 2005

As far as I know, the only way round this is to hang on to your wired kb/mouse & keep it handy for situations like this. G

Thurrafork 22:45 13 Dec 2005

Thanks Crossbow7. I once tried to start my new machine with my old wired keyboard and mouse and for some reason my monitor remained blank - the tower made all the usual startup noises but it was as if the plugging in of the old wired keyboard/mouse stopped the monitor signal. But that sounds ridiculous and I have not systematically checked that that was the cause. Ho hum.

GaT7 23:02 13 Dec 2005

If the old wired kb/mouse has USB interface, you may need to enable USB support in the BIOS of the new machine.

I've had similar problems with my NTL USB cable modem - the PC hangs intermittently at the first bootup screen, but on disconnecting the modem & resetting it boots normally. G

Thurrafork 23:04 13 Dec 2005

Nope it wasn't a usb connection it was... um... the other type. And the pc didn't seem to hang judging by the startup noises - it was just as if the monitor was disconnected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)