Wireless internet connection set up

khafra 17:41 16 Nov 2005

I recently suscribed to wanadoo broadband who
advised me to buy a router to enable wireless connection to the internet as there is not a telephone point near the PC.

Therefore I bought a D-Link DSL-904 Router and USB Adaptor. However reading through the instructions it is very unclear how to set this up. The main problem is that the router needs to
be connected to the telephone point and the computer which sort of defeats the object of having a wireless connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Editor 17:53 16 Nov 2005

if that's any consolation.

It's certainly true that the router will have to be connected to a computer, but only for the short time it takes to configure it with your ISP login details. Once that has been done, you can disconnect the ethernet cable that connects router and computer and leave the router to do its job. Each time you turn it on (you should always turn a router off at night, when you've finished with it) your router will automatically make the connection to your ISP.

All routers come with an ethernet cable specifically for use during configuration, and you can use any computer for that process. It does mean that if you have only one PC you'll have to move it near the router temporarily. It's obviously necessary for the computer to have an ethernet card installed, or an ethernet port that connects directly to the motherboard, but pretty well every computer has one or the other.

silverbean 23:48 16 Nov 2005

Iv signed up to tiscali broadband and have connected. But the modem they provide has only USB connection. I have a wireless router and want to know if i can guy a ADSL router with ethernet ports and connect it to my wireless router and share broadband wired to my pc and wirelessly to a laptop. Can you suggest a cheap solution to this if it is possible? Thanks

mgmcc 08:56 17 Nov 2005

<<< I have a wireless router and want to know if i can guy a ADSL router with ethernet ports and connect it to my wireless router and share broadband wired to my pc and wirelessly to a laptop. >>>

Presumably your wireless router doesn't have a sbuilt-in ADSL Modem? That being the case, what you suggest should be possible, if a somewhat convoluted solution.

A new combined Router/ADSL Modem would feed your existing Wireless Router and allocate a LAN IP address (192.168.x.x) as the old router's WAN address. Your "wired" PC could connect to either router and the "wireless" laptop would connect to the old router. The two routers would have to operate in different subnets, i.e. if the new router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and allocates addresses by DHCP in the 192.168.1.xxx range, the second router would need to have its own address in a range *other* than 192.168.1.xxx and similarly have its DHCP pool for allocating addresses in this other range. For example, it could use 192.168.2.xxx

For the new router, you would actually just need a single port Router/Modem as the existing one will provide the network switch to connect PCs by ethernet cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?