Wireless for a "grandad" of senior age

  towserr 17:09 21 Apr 2005

On my desktop PC which has only one USB port, would it be possible to use a BT voyager 2100--all the reviews appear to recommend this---- allowing me access via a laptop to my printer and scanner.Having just managed to sort out my broadband it does have to be a "simple" arrangement. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

  Forum Editor 18:39 21 Apr 2005

with a USB cable - it connects to one machine (doesn't matter which) for initial configuration purposes via the Ethernet cable supplied. Thereafter you may disconnect the cable and use all computers wirelessly if you wish, although you may also connect computers to the router via conventional Ethernet LAN cables - the router has four LAN ports at the back.

Each computer which you intend to use wirelessly must have a PCI or USB wireless network adapter or PCMIA card (in the case of a laptop) installed. If you aren't going to connect wirelessly then each machine must have a normal Ethernet network adapter. At least one machine must have that type of adapter anyway - so you can connect it to the router for setup purposes.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more clarification, or if you need help with sharing the printer and scanner on a network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts