Wireless G or G+Mimo - Irrelevant choice?

bstb3 13:38 23 Jan 2008

Hi,

I have done a quick search on the forums, couldnt see anything directly relevant, so I will start a new thread.

The question is, Wireless G gives a speed of upto 54mbps, or 11mbps depending on the circumstances (802.11g or 802.11b). As I understand it, G+Mimo promises more speed and is sold as more suitable for gaming and heavy usage as a result. The internet line into my house at best offers a touch over 4mbps, so is the extra speed offered by G+Mimo even remotely relevant, as I will never touch those speeds?

I am about to buy a new USB Dongle, hence the question. My router is currently only cabable of Wireless G anyway, but at some point will be upgraded to G+Mimo if it is of any benefit to do so.

Thanks,

Bstb3

Ashrich 21:46 23 Jan 2008

The extra transfer speed and " range " of a mimo device will always stand you in good stead , remembering that the quoted speed and actual transfer speed is always going to be a lot less , no-one ever lives in the perfect conditions that these router makers think they do !!

Ashley

setecio 12:07 25 Jan 2008

If it is gaming you're interested in go for the wired cat5e option. Remember you'll need both router and USB dongle to be a pair of the same 'type' and usually same manufacturer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?