Wireless connection for windows xp on a laptop

bta1 11:29 14 May 2005

I have a Belkin adsl modem with wireless G router,

i am trying to set up a wireless connection with my laptop but every time the software (AOL) loads it say sit cannot find a dial tone.

The lap top recognises the modem, the phone has a uninterrupted tone (Its not used for anyhting else) and no other fancy BT options.

Does anyone know why it might not be able to find the dial tone.

hgrock 11:42 14 May 2005

I may be wrong here but i don't think you can do a wireless connection using dial up, maybe someone will correct me here
george

Kate B 11:45 14 May 2005

You don't need to dial with wireless. The wireless adaptor in your laptop (tell us what it is - do you have a Centrino or Sonoma logo on the laptop somewhere, in which case it's built into the chipset) should just join the Belkin network and connect.

I'm not an AOL user but I imagine its support pages will tell you what settings you need for the router to allow you to connnect.

Taff36 12:17 14 May 2005

Similar situation here - click here I think we`ll watch each others threads.

If you are on broadband the theory is that you are always connected. Your software supplied by AOL doesn`t seem to recognise the broadband connection and like my friends reverts to dialling out on the modem. AOL want another £7 a month presumably to supply some more software and turn on the facility. I think not. We`ll find a way round it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?