Wireless connection for a single PC

Kieron-173454 11:58 09 May 2005

I'm moving to a flat where broadband cable connection isn't practical.

Can anyone suggest what the best wireless set up is with regard to cost and product.

I see that some people recommend the BT voyager 2100, but its capabilities seem bigger than what I require - and I don't want to pay more than I have to!

I will probably be subscribing to BT broadband BTW.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Editor 20:08 09 May 2005

why you can't just connect a USB broadband modem directly to your computer? As you have only one machine this would be the simplest/cheapest option, assuming that the computer is a PC, and not a laptop.
If you have a laptop, or wish to move the PC around the flat however, you'll need a wireless router, and a wireless network asdapter for the computer. I tend to favour Netgear routers at the moment, but I have also used (and been very happy with) Belkin hardware. I have no personal experience of the BT Voyager 2100, but to be honest, a wireless router is a wireless router, is a wireless router - they all do much the same job.

Kieron-173454 08:40 10 May 2005

Yes, I can't use a cable USB because the BT point is in an inconvenient place.

I have a PC, I assume ill need a PCI slot adapter/receiver and the transmitting device by the BT point?

What kind of price can I expect to pay for a mid range solution?

mgmcc 21:00 10 May 2005

As the F.E. says, a Wireless Router is a Wireless Router. As you will be using ADSL broadband, you need a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" because you cannot use a USB modem with a router. The Netgear DG834G is a popular and generally easy to set up router.

The router connects directly to the phone socket, in place of the USB modem, and the PC requires a Wireless Network Adapter, either an internal PCI card or a USB WiFi Adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?