Wireless Broadband sharing

notuagain28 17:31 01 Dec 2005

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which is wireless enabled and would like to share my current home broadband connection with it.

My desktop runs windows XP and i currently am using a USB DSL modem with Tiscali.

I realise i will need to buy a adsl modem/wireless router but i am confused as to whether the new adsl modem/router will plug staright into my desktop allwoing the laptop to be wireless or whether i will need a network card for the laptop in order to connect it to the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Editor 18:31 01 Dec 2005

a wireless network adapter if your Dell laptop is "wireless enabled". Usually there's a small switch somewhere on the laptop which turns on the built-in wireless adapter.

That done, your laptop will detect the wireless signal from your new router.

notuagain28 18:37 01 Dec 2005

Sorry what i meant was whether my desktop would need a network card. I want to use wires to connect the desktop but will an ethernet wire plug into the pc without a network card?

mgmcc 19:16 01 Dec 2005

For a "wired" connection between the Desktop PC and the Router, it *must* have a network card installed. If the PC is not very old, it would be unusual for it not to have a network adapter. If you open the Network Connections folder is there an entry for a "Local Area Connection"? That is the network adapter.

keewaa 20:21 01 Dec 2005

The PC might have an onboard ethernet port which will not be where the PCI slots are but above, usually beside the sound connectors.

Network cards are only £10

notuagain28 09:42 02 Dec 2005

Thanks a lot that has helpoed a lot. Looks like i will need a network card installing (my pc is about 5 years old).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?