wired network

chaz-238897 19:45 23 Aug 2004

i am trying to set up a wired network between two computers. i have got as far as pinging each computer in turn. computer 1 runs xp, computer 2 runs me. computer 1 shows a network, but when i ping 2, i get an error message on 2:- hardware address 00.0B:6A:52:4D:05. what is a hardware address? to confuse things, computer 2 pings sucessfully. but i cannot print or connect to the internet through computer1 as i require.
if anyone reading this remembers my query on installing old harddrive in new computer, in the end i formatted it first. took days to get settings as i wanted them, but may save problems in future.
thanks warden11

mgmcc 20:01 23 Aug 2004

<< hardware address 00.0B:6A:52:4D:05. what is a hardware address? >>

That is the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your network adapter - they all have a unique MAC address. I have no idea why it should be displayed in an error message though ????

If you are trying to connect to the internet from both PCs using the XP one's connection, have you enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" on its internet connection? In the Network Connections Folder, right click the internet connection, select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box for "Allow other network users etc." This will automatically set the Local Area Connection's IP address to 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0

The 'client' PC should be set to get its IP address automatically. This is done in Network Properties, highlight the TCP/IP entry for your network adapter and click Properties. Make sure it is set to get an IP address automatically.

Legolas 20:05 23 Aug 2004

How have you set up your network? Are you using a router or are you using a length of crossover cable between the two network cards?

chaz-238897 20:14 23 Aug 2004

xover cable.
also i have tried both automatic and self written ip addresses. going barmy!

chaz-238897 20:32 23 Aug 2004

tried mgmcc's ideas again to see if i missed anything, but no. in middle of thunder storm, logging off as f.e. recommends. thanks anyway. more ideas welcome thanks

chaz-238897 20:33 23 Aug 2004

tried mgmcc's ideas again to see if i missed anything, but no. in middle of thunder storm, logging off as f.e. recommends. thanks anyway. more ideas welcome thanks

chaz-238897 20:34 23 Aug 2004

chaz-238897 19:38 24 Aug 2004

not very good at this forum lark, hope this how i should have responded.
i am using a crossover cable between two network cards.
had to log off last night as was under violent thunder storm

chaz-238897 19:42 24 Aug 2004

thanks for your suggestions, i have already been down that road, but tried again, incase i had done something wrong, but it still does not work.
had to log off as i was under a violent thunderstorm last night

SEASHANTY 19:51 24 Aug 2004

It might have been easier using a plugnplay wired router such as this one which I use
click here
Maybe some info on the link will be of use.

johnsims 19:54 24 Aug 2004

Using Win XP machine: From Start - My network places - set up a home or small office network. Follow the wizard and create a network startup disk on floppy when prompted.

When it has all finished, stick the floppy in the ME machine and using my computer, navigate to floppy drive and run the netsetup file. This should give both machines the same workgroup name, same sub domain and all the other bits that need to be consistent between the two machine so they can talk to each other.

For a pretty comprehensive beginners guide to networking see the networking tutorials at netgear.com click here - they are within the support section. I also believe Linksys have some good ones too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?