WIPED C DRIVE IN WIN7

OCTCORE 09:40 05 Apr 2010

Hello there,

I seem to have wiped my c drive in windows 7.
I was using a cheap fat32 format program to format an external usb drive, but seem to have got the drives mixed up, now my c drive has only a few files on it and the recovery partion has gone. To be honest I was getting to end of my free RC win 7 and I dont keep any data on c drives so the loss is minimal, I am still baffled how a modern OS allows itself to be wiped. I plugged the drive into another pc and all that is left is a few boot files and a temp folder. Back in the day you would get a warning 'drive in use or something' I'll have to ghost back xp for now.

Is this normal ?

Regards.

Pine Man 11:25 05 Apr 2010

...you were using a 'cheap fat32 format program' that didn't have the built in safeguards or you failed to notice the warnings given.

Zeppelyn 12:23 05 Apr 2010

What was the program inviolved? Id guess even a 'cheap fat32 format program' wouldnt wipe your system partition while in use, probably gave a "Reboot to Proceed" message unless you did it from a bootable disk outside of Windows.

pjwheeldon 12:47 05 Apr 2010

From what you say it sounds like you had the PC set up as a dual boot, with W7 on just one drive. Were you backing up/formatting from the other OS? If so, you can format a drive with an OS on it just as easily as a data drive.

OCTCORE 14:53 05 Apr 2010

I have orderd WIN 7 premium upgrade £67 (currys)
job done. I will have to be more carefull next time and I will dump that program. When you prepare a USB hard disk as an install device for a netbook they like fat32, but computer managment seems only to offer NTSF or xfat. I was using diskpart for most of the prep but diskpart did not like formatting an 80 gig drive it fell over 3 times at 87% ? Hence using el cheapo fat32 formater. Never mind I have my mac as backup! Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?