co-rep 08:25 02 Jul 2004

Bought and assembled new system:
Mainboard, Abit Via KT600/8237
Processor, AMD Athlon XP 2800
Memory, 512MB Corsair
Hard drive, Maxtor Sata
Graphics card, Abit Siluro FS5200
Case and powersupply

Attempted to install WinXP pro OEM on a clean formatted hard drive, WinXP loaded the files for installation and then stopped at the DOS screen which gives the options a) install, b) repair, c)exit. At this point the system powers down, hence it quits before installation. No error messages.

Over last days I tried the following all bringing me to the same point the DOS screen afterwhich the computer power down.
a) Disabled SATA drive, used old 20GB IDE drive formatted, no system files installed.
b) Used full copy WinXP which I have installed on another PC. (This after reformating the hard drive and to prove the OEM CD is OK).
c) Booted up from CD and booted up with Win98 floppy disk afterwhich I ran i386\winnt.exe. Files are copied, but it all ends at the same DOS screen.

I tried variations on the above. The computer works fine on Win98SE. (I tried this ensure all components are working fine)

Anyone has any other ideas?

User-312386 08:29 02 Jul 2004

after the format did you re-set the HDD to be first boot in the BIOS?

georgemac 08:43 02 Jul 2004

had a search of the microsoft knowledge base with no joy click here;en-us;310760&Product=winxp suggest you use the top right link to contact microsoft support.

another option is to copy the files to the hard drive and try to install from there click here;en-us;316404&Product=winxp method 2 - I have had to do this before on a friends machine, I could not get xp to install on his pc, it was always hanging during install

georgemac 08:46 02 Jul 2004

Method 1: Use an Alternate Drive

If you have a second CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, or CD-RW drive in your computer, insert the Windows CD-ROM into it, and then restart Setup.

to do this method 2 you would need to first install windows 98.

Method 2: Install Windows from a Flat

If you are unable to install Windows XP from the CD-ROM, copy the Windows Setup files to a folder on the hard disk (this is known as creating a flat), and then run Windows Setup from the local hard disk.

To do this, follow these steps:

Start Windows Explorer, and then browse to the drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM.

In the right pane of Windows Explorer, right-click the I386 folder, and then click Copy on the shortcut menu that appears.

Browse to the location on the hard disk at which you want to create the flat.

NOTE: You will require about 446 megabytes (MB), or 468,217,079 bytes, of free hard-disk space.

On the Edit menu, click Paste.

After the files are copied to the hard disk, quit Windows Explorer.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type the following command, where drive is the drive that contains the I386 folder that you copied from the Windows XP CD-ROM:

drive:\i386\winnt32.exe

Click OK.

Windows XP Setup starts.
Follow the steps in the Windows Setup Wizard to upgrade the computer to Windows XP.

BurrWalnut 08:49 02 Jul 2004

Is it a pre SP1 version?

It is/was notorious for rejecting but not reporting unsigned drivers on equipment like modems and printers.

If you have one of these, remove it and try again.

georgemac 08:49 02 Jul 2004

I think this is the method I used to copy the xp cd files to the hard drive & install from there. Booting from a w98 boot floppy.

Starting the Windows XP Setup program at a command prompt

To start Windows XP at a command prompt, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

Start the computer to an Command Prompt with CD-ROM support. If your computer does not have MS-DOS already installed, or you otherwise cannot start to an Command Prompt in the Boot menu, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

187632 How to create a Windows 98 startup disk that supports FAT32

Start SMARTDrive if it is not already started. To do this, change to the folder that contains the Smartdrv.exe file, type smartdrv, and then press ENTER. If you do not use SMARTDrive, the Windows XP Setup program may copy files to the hard disk slowly.

At the command prompt, type drive:, and then press ENTER (where drive is the drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM).

Type cd\i386, and then press ENTER.

Type winnt, and then press ENTER. The Windows XP Setup program starts.

Type the path of the Windows XP installation files, and then press ENTER. For example, type d:\i386.

The Windows Setup program copies files to the hard disk. When the files are copied, you receive the following message:

The MS-DOS based part of The Setup Program Is complete.
The Setup program will now restart your computer. After your computer restarts,
the Windows XP Setup program will continue.

If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it now.

Press ENTER to restart your computer and continue Windows XP Setup.

Remove any floppy disks from the computer, and then press ENTER. The computer restarts, and the Windows XP Setup program resumes. Press ENTER to continue.

Follow the steps to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP. If your hard disk contains only one partition, do not delete it from the list of existing partitions. The Windows XP Setup program has copied the installation files to this partition.

You can convert a FAT32-formatted partition to the NTFS file system later.

Setup copies the files that the Windows XP Setup program requires, and then the computer restarts.

If you chose to format the drive by using the NTFS file system, Windows checks the drive for errors, and then it restarts.

Windows XP Setup resumes in Graphical User Interface (GUI) mode.

Follow the steps in the Windows Setup Wizard to complete the installation of Windows XP.

BurrWalnut 09:13 02 Jul 2004

I didn't explain "unsigned" drivers very well, what I meant to say was, before the WinXP installation remove any equipment that may possibly be installed with unsigned drivers via its own CD-ROM, like modem, printer, USB devices and the like.

georgemac 11:12 02 Jul 2004

do you have another graphics card you can try in your new machine (from the other machine) to see if xp will load like that?

maybe a trawl through the bios settings to amke sure everything is OK here, and that the correct hard drive settings are detected?

co-rep 12:03 02 Jul 2004

Thanks you all for your responses. It took me while to work through the solutions. Unfortunately the system still stops at the same point. Using part of the instructions from georgemac:

Quote:
The MS-DOS based part of The Setup Program Is complete. The Setup program will now restart your computer. After your computer restarts, the Windows XP Setup program will continue.

If there is a floppy disk in drive A:, remove it now.

Press ENTER to restart your computer and continue Windows XP Setup.

The computer restarts, and the Windows XP Setup program resumes. Press ENTER to continue.
Unquote

I never get a change to press enter because at this point the system shuts down.

georgemac 12:26 02 Jul 2004

I would guess that either memory or graphics is causing the problem, or it may be high temperature that is shutting down the motherboard? have a look through the bios hardware monitor and check all the temps and voltages and see if there is anything strange. It should be OK as you can load w98.

Have you tried upgrading to xp from w98 - I know it is not ideal but it may get it on?

User-312386 05:54 04 Jul 2004

after the format did you re-set the HDD to be first boot in the BIOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?