WindowsXP repair installation

rickbee 15:37 22 Jan 2005

Does the repair installation for XP still work now that SP2is installed.Also the SFC does not seem to be installed.How can I find out if so.Thanks every one. rickbee.

Frank-P 15:57 22 Jan 2005

I cannot be 100% positive, but I see no reason why it shouldn't. I have used the Repair option on several PC's, and I am fairly certain at least one of them had SP2 installed. I think the worst case is probably that it will ask if you want to overwrite an existing file with an older version; if you do, you may need to reinstall SP2. Others may know better of course!

Magik ®© 16:11 22 Jan 2005

I have never got SFC to work once sp2 was installed, it just kept asking for the win xp disk, which i put in, the drive kept lighting up, but when it was run again, the same thing.
so on the laptop i took it out...

rawprawn 16:52 22 Jan 2005

I have run sfc on SP2 with no problems, just Start/Run/ Type sfc /scannow. As for a Repair installation, I am not sure. I do know that when you had SP1 loaded and did a repair installation, SP1 had to be reinstalled following the repair installation. Unless somebody knows better I would think that SP2 would be removed and would have to be reinstalled. I have not done a repair since loading SP2, so I do not know for certain, but Repair takes the OS back to what is on your XP disc and unless it is very recent and has SP2 on it, I think you will have to reinstall SP2

VoG II 16:54 22 Jan 2005

Re SFC click here

powerless 17:40 22 Jan 2005

It depends on two things:

1) You have a Wndows XP Service Pack 2 Disk - Installation [not sp2 disk free from MS]

2) You have a Windows XP Service Pack 1[a] or previous.

If 1 then you can repair the installation.

If 2 then you will have to reinstall XPSP2.

Baz48 18:09 22 Jan 2005

I have Windows XP Home with SP2 installed from a magazine disk and did a repair install a month ago with no problems at all.

rickbee 15:48 24 Jan 2005

Thanks everyone for your advice.All is ok except for the sfc is still not showing up on computer.The scannow suggestion does not work no matter how I type it.Thank You.Rickbee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?