Windows XP Support Tools

powerless 08:40 20 Jul 2003

Part 1 - click here

Part 2 - click here

I'll start the Quoting here:

All you need is on your Windows XP disc. If you need help diagnosing and resolving system problems then check out the Windows Support Tools

Identifying tools - If you run into problems and want to try and fix or trace the cause of a particular problem then the best way to determine which tool to use is to launch Support Tools Help from the All Programs menu

Using Windows Support Tools - The Windows Support Tools perform all kinds of functions to help diagnose and resolve problems with your system. Each tool can be launched by double-clicking the appropriate .exe file in the Program Files\Support Tools directory. However, not all the Windows Support Tools have a graphical interface so some will need to be run from a command prompt.

Tool: Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

File Name: msicuu.exe

Description:
This useful program removes any configuration data that Windows Installer records and saves for a particular installed product. This includes directories, files and registry entries. This tool comes in handy when a previous corrupt installation is stopping you from successfully installing a product

I've finished the quoting now.

Useful?

-pops- 09:05 20 Jul 2003

Interesting that the word "futility" appears in the click heres that you gave<;-)

Brian

powerless 09:10 20 Jul 2003

Yes interesting!

Hmmm...

...Ummm

ermmm...

I give up!

VoG II 10:13 20 Jul 2003

"The Windows Support Tools are aimed at those users who have a good understanding of Windows XP"

Not much use here then!

Thanks anyway Powerless.

-pops- 10:29 20 Jul 2003

Or anywhere?

Is there anyone with a good understanding of it, apart from flecc, of course!!

keith-236785 10:33 20 Jul 2003

wonder if even Mr Gates understands win XP?

powerless 10:36 20 Jul 2003

Refuses to comment.

They'll help someone those tools i'm sure of it ;-))))))))

-pops- 10:53 20 Jul 2003

I'm certainly going to have a look at the tools, notwithstanding my lack of knowledge! You never know, there could well be something of vital and universal applicability in there.

I notice there are two levels of installation to accommodate different levels of expertise.

Thanks for the link Powerless, it could be v. useful.

Brian

barrie_g 12:16 20 Jul 2003

Looks like great fun I will be having a look at it later... and will probably be doing a clean reinstall of Windows tomorrow.

AndySD 12:25 20 Jul 2003

Hmmm....looks good

Im off to play.

powerless 19:50 10 Jul 2004

Playtime is over.

Bumpo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)