Hot Topics

Windows xp repair/set up issues

sleepy03 12:55 15 Jul 2015

Hi, ive been having issues with the pc, I built it myself in 2008 an have had no issues until recently. It was recommendd to try a repair. So I booted the xp disk and followed a process from online, I bypassed the initial repair and chose install and then selected repair from further on in the process. The PC rebooted and started set up (odd as I chose repair), it asked for the windows xp disk and the asked for the disk 'NVidia network bus installation disk 1' (its an asus pn5-d MB), it accepted the asus MB disk and then continued set up asking me for the xp product key which I entered and it continued. Before completion the pc rebooted and then after bios screen and windows logo it wants to re-enter set up again and start the whole process again. So its a constant loop and I cannot get past this. Ofc with hindsight I'd have left it alone. I would appreciate any advise. I will try to respond quickly to any further questions but I have to log on to a friends pc to get online. I am certain I have the correct disks, I cannot understand why the repair/install will not stick. Naturally I am concerned I can't access the pc now and will loose documents.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:09 15 Jul 2015

Naturally I am concerned I can't access the pc now and will loose documents.

I bypassed the initial repair and chose install and then selected repair from further on in the process.

If you have done a reinstall then you may well have already lost them unless they are on a separate partition or drive, do you have back ups?

after bios screen and windows logo it wants to re-enter set up again and start the whole process again.

Have you removed the XP CD from the drive? do so.

sleepy03 13:14 15 Jul 2015

Hi Fruit Bat, yes I have, I also changed back the BIOS to boot from drive and not disk. I think its something to do with the nvidia network bus installation disk, it asks for some files one being nvenetfd.inf, this I would have thought would be on the Asus MB disk, the PC certainly accepts this disk, if I put any other disk in and hit enter it wants to search from a location on the HD.

sleepy03 13:16 15 Jul 2015

our files and stuff are on the HD still, thankfully, as when I do try to search for the files (see above) our profiles still exist. That is something, if only I could get past this stage.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:44 15 Jul 2015

get all your files off the disk before doing anything else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Wholesome animations remind commuters not to be animals

Apple Arcade ain't what it used to be

Comment désactiver le rétroéclairage du clavier de votre MacBook ?