WINDOWS XP PRO/HARDWARE PROBLEM

pogue 23:03 07 Nov 2003

CUOLD ANY ONE HELP PLEASE,
MY IN LAWS PURCHASED A NEW COMPUTER FROM E-BAY WHICH CAME WITH A CD FOR THE MOTHERBOARD THE HARDRIVE HAS BEEN FORMATTED AND INSTALLED WINDOWS 98 AND LOTS OF THINGS DIDN'T WORK IE SOUND,MODEM,CD-RW DRIVE SO WE FORMATTED AND INSTALLED WINDOWS XP PRO (THOUGHT THE COMPUTER WASN'T COMPATABLE WITH WINDOWS 98)AND STILL NO SOUND AND OTHER SMALL THINGS NOT QUITE AS THEY SHOULD BE.
DO WE INSTALL WINDOWS XP FIRST OR THE MOTHERBOARD CD OR SHOULD WIN XP DO IT ALL FOR US

MANY THANKS
POGUE

critic-al 23:11 07 Nov 2003

can you supply us with the specs about the pc?
and a little sub note FULL CAPS is considered shouting,

dawnyworld 23:22 07 Nov 2003

install xp first then motherboard drivers then graphic then sound drivers restart after each then defrag i found is best

pogue 23:22 07 Nov 2003

sorry about full caps,i am buy no means shouting (i think it looks tiyder in full caps)

pogue

pogue 23:32 07 Nov 2003

ECS K7VMM+ MOTHERBOARD

Click for enlarge picture
Special Features
Internal / External AGP
LAN Wake up
Hardware Monitoring
USB 2.0
Supports DDR266/200
Supports PC133/100 SDRAM
Supports UltraDMA 133/100/66

Processor AMD? Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron CPU
Socket A
266 / 200MHz
Chipset
VIA? ProSavageDDR KM266 North Bridge VT8375
VIA?VT8235SouthBridge

Super I/O
ITE IT8705F
Main Memory
2 DDR DIMMs
Supports DDR266 / DDR200
2 SDRAM DIMMs
Supports PC133 / PC100
Max. 1GB (Unbuffered memory)
Graphics S3 GRAPHICS Savage8
Sound
AC'97 Audio CODEC
LAN
MAC integrated in VT8235 & PHY on board
IDE
2 UltraDMA 133 / 100 / 66
USB
6 USB 2.0 (Embedded in VT8235)
Expansion Slots
2 PCI
1 AGP (4X)
1 CNR
Back Panel I/O Ports
1 PS/2 Mouse
1 PS/2 Keyboard
1 LAN
2 USB
1 Parallel
1 Serial
1 VGA
1 Game port
1 Line-in
1 Line-out
Microphone
Internal I/O Connectors
IrDA header
2 extra USB ports
Front Panel Audio header
HDD LED, Reset switch, Power switch headers
CPU and Case fan connectors
LAN wake up connector
4-pin ATX power connector
BIOS
AMI 2Mb Flash EEPROM
Form Factor
microATX
Board Size
244 mm x 244 mm

this is the listed information from e-bay
hope this helps

soy 23:37 07 Nov 2003

I think your problems are due to you not installing relevant drivers. You will need to install drivers for your graphics card, sound card, and monitor. Plus any more for extra components such as Zip drives, digital cameras.

critic-al 23:57 07 Nov 2003

Hi mate,re your specs, i should have asked what size is your hard drive/how much memory you have/and what cpu "Processor"if your unsure you can let xp test your system for compatibility ,this option appears upon installation of xp cd while in windows,then go to control panel/then system/then hardware/then device manager.then look for any yellow ! next to anything listed,if anything does have a yellow (!) next to it it most probably needs drivers, make a note of the ones listed "if any"
now go back to your desk top and as dawnyworld says run your motherboard drivers disk,after you have done that,go to windows updates and scan for updates,then install critical updates first some will be required to be installed on there own,and require a reboot,after all critical updates have been done check for driver and windows other updates.hope this ain't to much for you,if you get stuck feel free to email me.

Stuartli 08:53 08 Nov 2003

No, it doesn't look tidier, just very off putting and is considered to be extremely rude.

Normal presentation and avoidance of unbroken paragraphs will encourage more people to help you.

temp003 10:28 08 Nov 2003

The information you have copied from eBay is just reproduced from the Elite ECS website for the motherboard specifications.

The motherboard has onboard sound and onboard graphics.

We don't know whether the previous owner has added his own sound card and display card, and whether he's passed them on to you.

Follow the advice above, install XP Pro, then install motherboard drivers. Restart into Windows. Then go to Device Manager to see if there are any problem devices. Post back.

If you don't get any sound (make sure speakers are connected), then it may be that the previous owner has added his own sound card, therefore disabled the onboard sound in BIOS settings, then removed his sound card before selling to you. In that case, you'll have to enable onboard sound in BIOS (if there is no PCI sound card).

pogue 13:07 08 Nov 2003

stuartli

thanks all ready been told about"FULL CAPS"i've lernt my leason.
as you can probable tell my second time on here please don't judge me on my presentation i didn't get an a or even a c in english.
i must be in the wrong place i was looking for plane expert advice not too tellings off for the same mistake.

Mankster 13:22 08 Nov 2003

Hi m8,Don,t take offence at stuarti,or anyone else for pointing you in the right direction when making a posting,everyone here will always help each other if they can as long as you ask in the correct way and give as much information as possible about your computer and the problems and error messages you receive.also when your problem is fixed always put a tick in the "Resolved " box.
A handy little tool to download so you can get all your PC details is "AIDA32 - Enterprise System Information" which you can download from here...click here

also to help with checking your spelling on this or other sites,download this also..click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?