Windows XP Home or XP Pro?

[DELETED] 12:26 16 Sep 2003

which of the 2 would be a better OS to use? my pc uses are 95% gaming, 5% work. (heh like it should be.)

i am asking because i will be running autocad 2003 and i have heard that it wont install to XP home edition. (not sure if this is true)

-tweaks-

[DELETED] 12:30 16 Sep 2003

According to this it will run on XP Home click here this is for the 2004 version.

[DELETED] 12:35 16 Sep 2003

ah excellent, (i do actually have AutoCAD 2004 - i miss typed earlier.)

what about the actual opperating systems themsleves... i have a cable connection and is home as secure as pro? ill be running a firewall but lets face it now days its the bugs in windows that let in malicious software / hackers / viruses.

[DELETED] 12:39 16 Sep 2003

The Home and Pro Kernel are identical. Pro has a few advantages like multi CPU support, larger networking support, encrypted files. TBH there isnt a great deal in pro that is of use to most of the people using a PC, there features are just there fore the people that do actualy need them.

[DELETED] 12:39 16 Sep 2003

The security features of Pro might be better but they are MS 'security features' and with all the virus that have been about recently I would still opt for a non-MS fire wall - Zone Alarm - so really Pro gives you no advantage over home. I think for the average users there is nothing in Pro that you will use or need, so why spend the extra money?

I say all this but I do have Pro - but student licensing what can you say, sadly MS only sell office this way now :-(.

[DELETED] 12:41 16 Sep 2003

cheers guys

i recon ill save the $$$ and go with home.

[DELETED] 12:55 16 Sep 2003

oh one more thing - how much should i be paying for XP home (the full version NOT upgrade)

because i been looking around a bit and prices seem to vary by like 100 quid!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

This fantastic short film is packed with hidden TV and film references

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Soundcore Spirit X d’Anker