Windows XP Home - Cannot change file attributes

Bertie B 14:46 09 Mar 2004

Has anyone come up against this problem, which according to Microsoft Help site appears to be a problem with Windows NT but not listed as one for XP.

This is a strange problem which seems to occur in relation to some files but not all! For instance, I have just installed a DVD RW Drive and when I copy files to it using a RW Disk I cannot then change the files because when you Right-Click into Properties the the read-only box has a tick in it but it is greyed out so when you try to change it it comes up with "Access Denied" despite the fact that my user status is Adninistrator.

I have noticed this problem on a random basis before in relation to some files on the HDD - mysteriously they have bocome read-only with the same problems of being unable to change the attibutes.

Any suggestions, please?

Jester2K 14:48 09 Mar 2004

You can't change the attributes on a CD or DVD from Read Only whilst they are on the disk because they are stored in a read only format. In the same way you need to remove the Read Only attribute from the files when you copy them back to the HDD.

Bertie B 15:02 09 Mar 2004

Well I don't know if I am being overly obtuse but when I right click the same file on the HDD I find the same situation - the "read-only" box has a tick in it and is greyed out. When I attempt to get rid of the tick the box clears - I press "apply" and all seems ok until you right click properties again and the box is back to greyed "read-only" attribute!!??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?