Windows XP - Advanced Logon

adam.dbatr 21:01 23 Aug 2008

I have just done an install of XP (from a copy of Vista that I hated), and having used XP before, but forgot the registry enteries, how do I get XP to froget my username from the classic logon box? It can already do Ctrl + Alt + Del login, and a Google search for 'how to get windows xp to forget your username' and similar turns up fruitless.

MAT ALAN 21:03 23 Aug 2008

Start - Run

"control userpasswords2"

Uncheck "Users must enter a user name ...."

Click OK

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 23 Aug 2008

Accounts options ---
To stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quatations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

MarvintheAndroid 21:03 23 Aug 2008

You can delete a user in Administrative Tools - Manage - Local Users and Groups.

Beware that once you delete a user this way you cannot use the same user name again unless you reformat.

MAT ALAN 21:04 23 Aug 2008

To make logon an unattended process:

Click [Start] [Run] and type
control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

adam.dbatr 22:08 23 Aug 2008

That's to log them on automatically? I don't want that. Basically, I have the classic logon, with a registry hack for pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del (so it looks like my PC is on a network). Now I would like to change the registry value which remembers the username (so I have to type my username and password everytime I logon).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?