Windows update has removed Internet Explorer toolbars

Pineman100 10:26 15 Aug 2013
Answered

Windows 8 64-bit. Internet Explorer 10.

When I switched off my computer last night, it installed a Windows update, which completed when I switched on this morning.

I now find that Internet Explorer won't show the Menu Bar or the Norton Toolbar, even though both of these are ticked in the Tools>Toolbars options.

I have tried unticking these items, restarting IE and then ticking them again, but this hasn't worked.

Can anyone please help me to get these toolbars back?

Pineman100 10:32 15 Aug 2013

Sorry - I should just add that both these toolbars are enabled in Manage Add-Ons.

spuds 10:36 15 Aug 2013

Not much help here, but I found this morning quite a number of updates for XP ready to install, and the computer gave a message that it was unable to install most of the updates suggested?.

I tend to stick with IE 8, because of the problems that I have had with later IE products and updates!.

Pineman100 11:51 15 Aug 2013

spuds - I've been running IE10 for months without problems, until this one.

Pineman100 11:55 15 Aug 2013

Jock1e - thanks for that idea. If all else fails I will do it, but for the present I'm hoping that someone can advise me on a solution that doesn't involve a reset.

Pineman100 12:08 15 Aug 2013

I've just noticed that the Taskbar also disappears when IE is open. That's never happened before.

Grrrr....!

spuds 12:14 15 Aug 2013

I have just put " after windows 8 update internet explorer and norton toolbar not working" into a Google search, and a number of possible ideas or solutions have appeared. Perhaps worth a look there, to see if any fits the bill, while waiting for someone else to respond?.

Pineman100 12:35 15 Aug 2013

Thanks for that suggestion, spuds. I tried your wording in a Google search and, as you predicted, received a number of suggested solutions. Unfortunately all of them suggested tinkering with IE10 in ways that are already set in my version.

Pineman100 13:54 15 Aug 2013

Well, I'll be....! F11 worked! Thank you so much, Jock1e!

What does F11 actually do?

Woolwell 16:46 15 Aug 2013

F11 = Full Screen (without toolbars and bits and top and bottom). It toggles between normal view and full screen.

Pineman100 17:07 15 Aug 2013

Shame on me for not knowing that!

Many thanks again Jock1e and to Woolwell for that explanation.

I do wish that Windows updates wouldn't muck about with my settings. Pretty well every time I get an update I find that something has gone awry. Fortunately I have a rough idea of how to re-apply most of them. But it's ruddy irritating!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?