Windows Taskbar Clock/Date update ??

paul654 13:08 13 Oct 2003

Once or twice now a window has opened on my desktop (when I'm online) claiming to be from Microsoft, offering a free update for the Clock/Date facility on my Taskbar. Has anyone else recieved this ? Is it legit ? or a virus ? How do I stop it appearing if its not legit ? I'm running Norton 2003,Zone alarms and adware,but it still pops up now and again.
Thanks

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:13 13 Oct 2003

It a sort of spam i think just close it and ignore
could try noads from click here quite good and if you get google toolbar as well it stops most ads.

moore_mat 13:15 13 Oct 2003

In Windows XP (and possibly 2000) there is an option to update automatically anyway, just double click on the time in the bottom-right corner and click on the Internet time tab.

It's VERY unlikely Microsoft would get involved in pushing adverts just for updating time... Is it a messenger windows that pops up and tells you to go to a site? If so, where does it tell you to go?

Taff36 13:18 13 Oct 2003

Yes but have either of the two site`s been available. I have never been able to synchronise with time.windows or time.nist - Anyone else ever tried?

hoverman 13:25 13 Oct 2003

I used to be able to synchronise with time.windows and time.nist but quite some time ago it stopped working bringing up error messages when I tried. Just before I posted this reply I tried again with time.nist and it worked. Strange!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts