windows protection error..help please

Legolas 14:10 21 Feb 2003

I am getting the error message "windows protection error loading device VDMAD you need to restart your computer" I have tried restoring an earlier working copy of the registry with no joy, I am running Win98 any ideas anyone.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:36 21 Feb 2003

If so this will be applicable.....When you press the hardware Suspend button on an IBM Aptiva computer with a Mwave driver, you may receive the this error message on a blue screen when you resume the computer:

To avoid this problem, use the Suspend command on the Start menu to suspend the computer instead of using the hardware Suspend button.

Failing the above...' It is most likely caused by a hardware conflict with either a DMA or IRQ setting on one of the hardware devices such as a Network Card, Internal Modem, Video Card, Sound card or other device connected to the motherboard.

Check in device manager for devices that share IRQ values. As a troubleshooting tool you can temporarily remove some cards that are not essential to the operation of the computer and see if the problem goes [email protected]

G

woodchip 14:56 21 Feb 2003

protection error are normally caused by memory overlap hardware or program trying to use memory that's allocated to some thing else

JoeC 15:19 21 Feb 2003

click here

Hover the cursor over VxD Fix 4 and see if it helps. : }

Legolas 15:46 21 Feb 2003

Thanks for the replies, the problem is I cannot boot to the desktop the computer hangs just after the Win98 logo appears and the error message I outlined comes up and I have to reboot, I probably can fix it by reinstalling 98 I was just looking for a way that would save me the bother of doing that as being a student I am sooooo busy with my studies ;-)

woodchip 16:34 21 Feb 2003

Then you need to press F8 and choose install drivers one at a time then when it stopes working will not go any further you can start the proses again from boot and choose not to load the driver that's the prob then sort when you get into windows

woodchip 16:35 21 Feb 2003

Then you need to press F8 and choose install drivers one at a time then when it stopes working will not go any further you can start the proses again from boot and choose not to load the driver that's the prob then sort when you get into windows

woodchip 16:36 21 Feb 2003

sorry about that it's PSA doing it's thing

Legolas 16:44 21 Feb 2003

I will try that woodchip thanks

Legolas 19:23 21 Feb 2003

I lost patience with it and resorted to my favourite fix I formatted and reinstalled Windows Ok of course if you have no really important files stored on your computer. Thanks for all the replies.

woodchip 00:13 22 Feb 2003

Now you have it back on clean, Get Drive Image and make a backup that way you can be up and running in 5 mins back to when you made the Image file including Partition restored

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?