Windows product key

hargranules 12:04 13 Jan 2006

I have just repaired a pc using a friends windows xp upgrade cd. The computer is now running through set - up and asking for the product key.

My friend who lent me the cd is now trying to find it. But I just read something on the web about windows expiring after a certain amount of time. Anyone have any ideas how long. The pc has been waiting since last night.

Can I use any program like Belkin, key cracker to find the key, whilst it is in the middle of set up?

Devil Fish 12:09 13 Jan 2006

due to site policy information on cracks or how to crack cannot be given

hargranules 12:12 13 Jan 2006

Can you tell me how long I have before it wipes windows I am really panicking

recap 12:12 13 Jan 2006

Your Product Key should be on the PC casing. You should not use someone else's Product Key. I think you have 14 days in which to register, but like I say "I think" maybe some one else will correct me on that one.

Skyver 12:14 13 Jan 2006

30 days to activate.

hargranules 12:14 13 Jan 2006

the cd is in a different case. so no product key. if it's 14 days he should find it by then

recap 12:22 13 Jan 2006

Sorry hargranules, it's the casing on the PC I was meaning. Usually the manufacturer places this on the left side of the tower casing. It should have a green header on it, saying Windows XP...

hargranules 12:24 13 Jan 2006

The pc I am mending had a tiny restore / back - up cd that was corrupt. So I used a friends version of windows upgrade to repair the pc. But I cannot use the product key on top of the pc now because it says not valid with cd.

PaulB2005 13:57 13 Jan 2006

The key will only work with the original restore disk and not the upgrade disc.

You'll need a new Retail copy of XP for the PC.

hargranules 16:31 14 Jan 2006

Product key worked fine once found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?