Hot Topics

Is this a windows problem or a driver problem,, or a hardware problem

xania 00:13 05 Mar 2013
Answered

I recently purchased 3 Brother HL 2310 printers. Two were installed immedaitel;y and have been working fine - the third was kept as a reserve. Then one of the other printers finally gave up the ghost and the reserve 2130 installed on that Windows XP PC. Afterone week that 3rd printer started reporting no paper incorrectly and, knowing the operator, today decided to do a swap with one of the other printers. However, this afternoon this replacement started reporting no paper. OK - not a printer problem. I totally uninstalled the driver, did a safe reboot and a normal reboot and then and reinstalled the driver. Within minutes, same problem. OK not a driver problem. So that leaves operator or Windows.

Any thought on what could be a Windows problem, or how I can prove its NOT a Windows problem, because I can't see how it can be an operator problem (although she has wrecked 3 PCs and 3 printers in 3 years).

Not in the office now until Wednesday morning, but it certainly wouldbe helpful if I could do/say something then.

xania 00:16 05 Mar 2013

Sorry - that should be HP 2130

lotvic 00:57 05 Mar 2013

Haven't looked at manual but is there any way to reset the printer firmware, if you haven't got the manual there is a link to it on page link - see below or you could try updating the firmware.

You could try to print a test page from the control panel (printer not connected to pc) Brother Solutions

xania 09:53 05 Mar 2013

Hi Lotvic. Thanks for your comments. However, as I said, I've ruled out the printer itself as a cause of the problem, and I'm now looking at Windows itself as a possible cause. However, I will also ask Brother Solutions if they've any ideas.

SparkyJack 12:11 05 Mar 2013

How did paper problem check out

peper does have a print side surprisingly-usually indi cated by an arrow on the wrapper.

It is possible it is in tray wrong side up for the paper path, therefore it is not feeding. so try rurning the stack over.

lotvic 12:41 05 Mar 2013

I have a different printer but when mine has run out of paper and I put some more in the tray I have to press OK (either on the printer or the onscreen prompt) before printer knows I've filled the tray up.

Could it be that simple?

woodchip 17:06 05 Mar 2013

May be a operator problem, she may be sticking a pen in the works when its trying to print. As it may not be working fast enough for her

lotvic 18:14 05 Mar 2013

Have you tried moving/installing the 'No Paper' problem printer on a different pc with a different operator to see if it's 'magically' alright again?

Another suggestion: Is the correct paper tray/slot being selected?

"The main paper tray can take up to 250 sheets, which is a healthy provision in a small machine like this, but there's also a single-sheet feed slot for special media just above, where you can feed envelopes and odd paper sizes"

xania 10:15 06 Mar 2013

Thank you for all your replies.

wiz-king - I wish this particualr user were that helpful lol sparky-jack - Lazarus The 2nd has found the printer for you.
lotvic - could well be - I know she does use the manual feed so I'll have to ask her if this is what she's doing just before the problem occurs. Any idea how we overcome the problem once its occurred? Lazarus The 2nd - still on original drum and cartridge - they are that new!!

lotvic 12:14 06 Mar 2013

When I have selected wrong tray on mine (top or bottom tray) I have to cancel the Print Job, press the relevant button on printer for correct tray, and then print the document - as per normal.

xania 13:21 06 Mar 2013

Lotvic - already done the swap before even starting on this thread - magic in full operation.

Woodchip - no comment

Woolwell/lotvic - I'm fairly convinced now that the manual feed is the source of the problem, but she is not in the office now until tomorrow so I'll speak to her then. However, what is the best way of getting out of the problem? I was thinking along the lines of switching off the printer, waiting 30 seconds and switching on again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to work from your garden on a laptop more effectively

What if subjects of iconic paintings practised social distancing?

MacBook Air (2020) review: More bang for your buck

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2020)