I had this with WMP9 and still have it with WMP10. If I try to open an mpeg1 movie file across the web, WM Player hangs with 90 odd % CPU usage - it just sits there saying "Connecting" and does no more. Closing WM Player leaves the task running (at 90%) which I have to close with Task Manager.
If I download the mpeg, or open one across my local network, then there's no problem; WMP plays it fine.
My guess is that a buggy codec associated with some program that I've installed at some time has 'hooked' itself as the default codec, and that's the cause of my problems, but how on earth do I find it?
Hi Michelle - well, it was a good idea, thanks. Unfortunately it didn't work. Reason for slow response from me was that I had to find the time to follow that thread to see how to uninstall, and then find the time to actually do it.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately that doesn't work either :- I don't use ICF (because I use ZA Pro) and I'm otherwise straight onto the web with a 4Mb connection (no intermediary Firewall or proxy IP address). I disabled ZA, but it didn't help.
I guess I'm just gonna have to put up with it. Cheers anyway.
I've had hanging problems with both MPlayer9 and Mplayer 10. Whenever I try to play (e.g. a video I made using Windows Movie Maker) video or sounds, the whole machine hits treacle: 90% CPU usage; two minutes for a mouse click or ALT+TAB command to take effect. For choice, I'll choose 'open with' mplayer2, but certain files launch mplayer9/10 beyond my control.
What amazes me about the whole thing is that searching Microsoft's knowledgebase brings up absolutely ziltch. I cannot believe they're unaware of the problem and nor do I believe it's beyond their abilities to address it.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.